What's new

Local Best Buy no longer carries I7

Maximus3D

Stores here in Sweden only keep the i3 and i5 in stock as those cheaper models are easier to sell than the more expensive i7 models. Unsold expensive models occupying storage space is never a good idea for any reseller.

/ Magnus

JoshB

My store showed that the i7's are available online only. When I had searched Best Buy for local stores that have the i7's, my store was said to have it. Turns out they did have 5 of them. They were buried in the back of their cabinets. They did a search on the in store inventory and it showed up. They did point out that it is available online only, but I had them check anyway.

Telstar1948

Agree with what's been said: similar example is that Staples has the i3 and i5/128 in their store but not the i5/256 or the i7's. Just the retail dance...

Dan Wells

I bought my i7/256 at a local Best Buy a few weeks ago, and, looking at today's inventory using the "check stores" function online, it looks like every Best Buy within a couple hundred miles (I'm in Burlington, VT) has 512s, and about half or a few less have i7/256s as well... I'm almost sure that this is just a question of what MS has been shipping and Best Buy has been selling, not an actual decision not to carry the i7s. I bet the i7/256 has been a really good back to school seller, while the 512 is so much more expensive that it has been hanging around?

Geek.Verve

I just returned my i5 to order an i7. As others have said, BB didn't have any i7's in stock, nor did any within 100 miles or so. The person at BB said that they just don't stock the i7 models in the stores, because they don't see a lot of them being sold that way. They figure that the people who will need the extra horsepower and be ok with the price will likely order them online.

I did do some searching of store availability in neighboring states, and the only few stores that had any in stock were in the Chicago area. The person at BB said that is likely because that is where their major distribution center is located.

I'd say it's pretty clear that BB isn't wanting to stock them in their stores, but they can still easily be purchased on their web site. I ordered mine for store pickup.