What's new

Locked Keyboard and Home Button

CColtManM

I have seperate users on my Surface RT tablets for each classroom.

My 2nd period found out how to lock the keyboard and the home button, and once one did, it synced to all the others.

So, now, when you type or press the home button, it makes this chirpy clicky sound. Similar to sticky keys, but i don't think the same.

Not sure how to unlock or fix this.

Ideas short of refreshing?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Yikes.
Can you use the on-screen keyboard? Can you get to Accessibility options in the Control Panel?

OP
C

CColtManM

Yes, the touch screen works perfectly. The trackpad works too, but all the keys create a click sound. It has to be a setting, because it happened to one tablet, and as they were working and it synced across, it happened to all of them. JUST in this period / user account.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Lets try two things:

MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT IN Fn KEY LOCK
Hold the [Fn] key and press [Caps] then release both.
See if keys are working as you expect now, even though you still may hear the clicking sound. If the problem is worse, do this again to revert back to how it was.

TURN KEYBOARD CLICK SOUND OFF
1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and tap Settings.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and click Settings.)
2. Tap or click Change PC settings.
3. Tap or click PC and devices, and then tap or click Typing.
4. Under Touch keyboard, set 'Play key sounds as I type' to On or Off

Let us know...

OP
C

CColtManM

The Fn did not work. i locked and unlocked it.

I tried the sound too, but this is the attached covers, not on screen keyboard.

ONE MORE THING...

The Windows/Start/Home button doesn't work on the tablet itself. It doesn't matter if i disconnect the cover, i still can't press it to go home, it gives me the same chirpy sound.