What's new

Longer power cord?

LoudCouch

Hey folks - digging the Surface 3, just need a longer power cord.

Did some quick searching, no joy - anyone found one? Thanks!

OP
L

LoudCouch

An extension is probably the way to go. The issue is the power supply. I used a longer USB cable with a garden variety USB 2-prong plug and it didnt charge.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
An extension is probably the way to go. The issue is the power supply. I used a longer USB cable with a garden variety USB 2-prong plug and it didnt charge.
Sometimes the low tech simple solution is hard to beat. Although I have an Anker 10ft cable and it works for me but you don't get the right angle connection.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ahh, works for a SP3 but not a S3 the little power brick plugs straight into the outlet.
en-INTL-L-Themis-PSU-3YY-00001-mnco.jpg

OP
L

LoudCouch

Yeah, I'm an idiot, sorry. I forgot the cord is not hard wired into the power supply. I'll just buy an angled, longer USB->Micro USB cable. Duh.

It's not my machine, it's wifey's, so I haven't looked closely at it in a while.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, I'm an idiot, sorry. I forgot the cord is not hard wired into the power supply. I'll just buy an angled, longer USB->Micro USB cable. Duh.

It's not my machine, it's wifey's, so I haven't looked closely at it in a while.
I do actually have my S3 brick at home plugged into an extension cord. :)

toujoursdan

Do any of these charge while you're using the Surface 3?

I have a million long cords, some are the thicker version, but the only one that doesn't give me the "Plugged in Not Charging" when I'm using it is the Microsoft supplied cord. At $30 a swing, I'd really like to find a good alternative.

fastordiy

Hi toujoursdan and others. Well this was my biggest issue with the surface 3. & i have fixed this issue, according to me .Here is what you need to do. Find a Large sized AWG microcable. Preferably 20AWG. You can find them on ebay for as low as 2.00$ USD. search ebay for 20awg micro usb cable. GOOD LUCK ALL !

fastordiy

20awg micro cable im telling u thats what you really need.(charges just as fast if not faster than the oem microcable.