What's new

LOOKING FOR USER FEEDBACK

Dr. Dan

Hi. New here and I apologize if this type of thread has been posted many times before. I'm in need of some assistance in making a decision to purchase.

I currently own a SP3 but it can no longer handle the EHR I use in my private therapy practice. I have been agonizing about whether to purchase an SB with Performance Base or have a gaming laptop built (I'm a Toys R Us kid). I'm aware of the pros and cons of each. Problem is I see either really positive reviews of the Surface Book or nightmares. I'd be spending about the same so cost is not the issue. Its all about functionality for me. I love the stability of a gaming laptop, but the mobility and supposed power of the SB.

I have loved my SP3 and would like to stay with Microsoft if I can.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Wayne Orwig

I suspect that most of the 'nightmare' stories are dated. Various updates have fixed the majority of those issues.
Nothing is perfect, so there is the risk that you will get a lemon. But I suspect that if you enjoy the SP3, you will also enjoy the SB.

OP
D

Dr. Dan

Thanks Wayne. I think I'll head over to the Microsoft store (gulp) Saturday and possibly purchase. Ill have to inquire about how to transfer my SP3 programs to the new SB if I purchase.

wynand32

For another data point, I owned a Surface Pro 3 which I swapped for a Surface Pro 4, and used that up until just recently. As much as I liked them, I found that I needed a larger screen and a more traditional notebook form factor given some changes to my workflow (I'm no longer tied to a desktop machine and will be working more out of the home office). I'm trying out an original Surface Book, and loving it. It's been perfectly stable so far, the display is even better than the excellent display on the SP4, and battery life is much, much better.

I like it so much that I might actually go with a SB with Performance Base, even at $900 more than the SB I'm using right now. There are some nice gaming notebooks coming out, such as the revised Razer Blade with Nvidia GTX 1060, and so if pure gaming were your requirement, then one of those would be a good choice. But for a mix of (lighter) gaming and productivity, and the ability to use the tablet portion, the SB with Performance Base can't be beat, IMO.

OP
D

Dr. Dan

@Greyfox: The Electronic Health Record program is a RAM hog and while my SP3 can run it, it is very slow and causes massive problems entering data. Its not the program.

OP
D

Dr. Dan

@wynand32: Thanks for the feedback. I looked at the Razer laptops and have researched those enough to know that while gorgeous, they need some work. I watched about 6 YouTube videos of folks playing modern games (Fall out 4, GTA5) on the SB with Performance Base today and it looks more than adequate for my needs. I have an appointment at my local Microsoft Store on Saturday and ready to plop down the $2800 for the I7 512 gb 16gb Ram model. It's Hanukkah for us, so there's my present to me lol. I could have a very nice gaming laptop for that money, but it wouldn't serve my need to have clients sign various forms without handing a 17.3 screen laptop to them. Thanks again and enjoy the Holidays.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Greyfox: The Electronic Health Record program is a RAM hog and while my SP3 can run it, it is very slow and causes massive problems entering data. Its not the program.
I do app performance analysis... ram hog, very slow, massive problems entering data... it is the app. :)

ScottyS

You run the EHR on your computer? You are the only one running it?
Can you run it on a desktop or server and remote in via Remote Desktop?