What's new

Loose Surface Pro 3 Kickstand

Conley

I just purchased my SP3, and the kickstand is loose. My main concern is when it is in tablet mode, with the kickstand flat and not in use, it slides around when you move it with your fingers. So when you are holding it and move around your hands, the kickstand slides around, too. It does so in all directions. Is this normal? Thanks.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
No. This is not normal. Return it and buy a new one. (if you send it back for a straight replacement there is a chance you may just receive a refurbished SP3 in return).

malberttoo

Most of them open, with a bit of resistance, to the point of a 22°-ish angle. After that point, the resistance is considerably greater. If yours is "freely" doing anything, it is defective.

malberttoo

No. This is not normal. Return it and buy a new one. (if you send it back for a straight replacement there is a chance you may just receive a refurbished SP3 in return).

I also agree with this. Better to return the thing for a refund and then buy a new one, rather than ask for a replacement under warranty and get a refurb. Normally I wouldn't say such a thing, but the quality control on these units seems to be questionable at times.

ChiGGz

Any sort of advice people can share on how to prolong the kickstand longevity? Obviously "don't use it as a springboard".

1. Don't press down on the screen to get the angle you need, rather push on the kickstand itself.
2. Use two hands to adjust kickstand, not one.
3. ????

OP
C

Conley

Please stop with the sarcastic answers. Does your SP3's kickstand slide around just a little when closed?

malberttoo

Mine has perhaps 1mm of play. It is fairly tight, even after being opened and closed repeatedly, almost daily since release day.

OP
C

Conley

Mine has perhaps 1mm of play. It is fairly tight, even after being opened and closed repeatedly, almost daily since release day.
Do you mean when your hinge is closed? So that whenever you move your hand to touch the screen the kickstand moves from beneath your fingers?

ptrkhh

Mine too, theres a little play, very slightly, when its closed.

I ended up putting some tape on the hinge, works very well. Its tight now. As a bonus, pushing the kickstand back in feels more substantial, kinda like closing the door of a Mercedes.
WP_20141220_004.jpg

malberttoo

Do you mean when your hinge is closed? So that whenever you move your hand to touch the screen the kickstand moves from beneath your fingers?

When the kickstand is closed, it stays tight against the back of my SP3, there is no play at all. When the kickstand is open and the SP3 is on the table and the kickstand is supporting the SP3, it does not move, nor does the SP3 if I touch the surface of the screen.

If the kickstand is open and I pick the SP3 up and wiggle the kickstand with my hand, it has about 1mm of travel or play in either direction.