What's new

Loose volume rocker on new Surface 2

oion

Mine had a sticker right on the box (sadly, right on the front of the box, by the big 2).

Interesting, my box only has the S/N sticker and nothing else:

LOT NO./
DATE: 1340

Wish we could figure out what all the barcode stuff means. Okay, that's not helpful at all, but this could definitely be a batch problem. The downside is that this early in release, we can expect the early batches to make up a majority of outgoing devices, and MS doesn't check outgoing exchanges for the build flaw, so if you try to exchange you may end up with the same thing. I don't know the best course of action on this one. Perhaps wait as more batches are produced, after ensuring this would be covered by warranty (yeah, nothing should rattle on this thing).

Yeah, between this and the possible charger issue I think I might go ahead and get the extended service plan. Seems like the smart thing to do.

Akinzekeel

Can anyone post macro pictures to show this problem? I inspected my Surface 2 and the various buttons appear solid to my expectations, but I'm having a hard time imagining what the motion looks like for what you're reporting (compared to VaporMg flaking and whatnot). I wonder if it's a bad early batch.

I just recorded a short video. You may need to turn your volume up to hear it.
[video=youtube_share;tqOT9H1M1GQ]http://youtu.be/tqOT9H1M1GQ[/video]

I can get pictures, but it rattles around if you shake the tablet, and you can move it up and down a bit. I have a build date of 9/2/2013 on mine, so it'd have to be one of the first ones.
Where do I find the build date?
Edit: oops didn't see the 2nd page. But the sticker on my box also reads "Date: 1340".

Last edited:
This is how mine came:

photo11_zps340dc46f.jpg

See that white sticker? Closest to the barcode, in smallish print it says 2013/09/02. That sticker should be somewhere on your box.

Apparently it's different from the main sticker on the bottom.

oion

I just recorded a short video. You may need to turn your volume up to hear it.

Where do I find the build date?
Edit: oops didn't see the 2nd page. But the sticker on my box also reads "Date: 1340".

Thanks, the video is a good illustration (I turned my volume all the way up). Mine will make a little sound if I manually molest it, as expected, but doesn't when shaken. The actual batch information is probably hidden in the barcodes; on mine, the top barcode reads P4W-00001, and the right barcode reads 8-85370-62183-9. MODEL NO.: 1572 (I expect that to always be the same for the 64GB Surface 2.)

This is how mine came:

See that white sticker? Closest to the barcode, in smallish print it says 2013/09/02. That sticker should be somewhere on your box.

Apparently it's different from the main sticker on the bottom.

Hm, there are no other stickers anywhere on my box besides the S/N one on the bottom. I wonder why yours is different...

It's defective! :big smile:

Honestly, I was kinda confused as to why they'd put the sticker right there. It has the same SN as the tablet, so it's correct, but...

EMINENT

Same here. Although on mine, I have to try to shake it hard enough to hear it.

It is definitely more loose than my pro. Looks like most of them are that way. It doesn't really bother me.

beman39

^^ AK, yea but that doesn't sound normal at all, I would def exchange it! I hope when I get mine tomorrow it doesn't have that problem (fingers crossed)

kristalsoldier

My RT (not Surface 2) is similarly loose, but it does not rattle when I shake it. It does rattle when I tap my finger on it though. I've had the device for a while now and it has not caused any issues, but then again, I don't use the volume rocker a lot. If it was me, I would not worry about it.

berenger24

I have exactly the same problem...i can shake the tablet and it makes this horrid rattle noise...i changed it over for a new one and this one has exactly the same thing? Surely not meant to be normal...

deldalton

I can't say I have that problem on my SP2. I used the volume rocker for the first time last night and it seemed incredibly sturdy. But, I haven't shaken the device yet so I can't confirm whether or not it makes a rattling noise.