What's new

Lots of new updates in the 1/19/16 update

kristalsoldier

Did the update and thus far have experienced no negatives. But I find that the Surface app (edit) - to calibrate the Pen - does not work for me on the S3. It says that the app can't find the device driver. But otherwise, it seems fine.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes the W10 updates for the Surface 3 covers a long list of changes.

• Surface System Aggregator Firmware update (v1.0.51500.0) improves reliability with the Surface 3 Type Cover
  • Surface UEFI update (v1.51116.18.0) adds ability within Windows Power & sleep settings to turn off Wi-Fi during sleep. Improved touch support for UEFI menus and support for 3rd party onscreen keyboards improvements.
  • Microsoft Surface ACPI-Compliant Control Method Batter driver update (v1.2.0.2) ensures correct surface driver is installed.
  • Wireless Network Controller and Bluetooth driver update (v15.68.9037.59) improves access point compatibility and throughput on 5GHz.
  • Surface Digitizer Integration driver update (v1.0.1.1) improves pen pairing feature with newest surface pen.
  • Surface Pen Pairing driver update (v1.0.1.1) improves pen pairing feature with newest surface pen.
  • Audio Device driver update (v604.10135.7777.2109) improves audio quality with some applications.
  • I2S Audio Codec driver update (v6.2.9600.527) improves audio quality with some applications.
  • Serial IO GPIO Controller driver update (v604.10146.2652.3930) improves system stability and touch screen reliability.
  • Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework Driver update (v604.10146.2651.1559) improves system stability and touch screen reliability.
  • Serial IO I2C ES Controller driver update (v604.10146.2654.3564) improves system stability and touch screen reliability.
  • Serial IO SPI Controller driver update (v604.10146.2657.947) improves system stability and touch screen reliability.
  • Serial IO UART Controller driver update (v604.10146.2653.391) improves system stability and touch screen reliability.
  • Sideband Fabric Device update (v604.10146.2655.573) improves system stability and touch screen reliability.
  • Trusted Execution Engine Interface driver update (v2.0.0.1067) improves system stability and touch screen reliability.

NO that Batter driver update is not for improved baking performance it's the Batter[y] driver. :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well that experiment failed. I just had a first ever fatal Display driver crash. Instead of the usual delay then recovery it just went black except for the date time box then froze and never recovered. Had to hold the power button for 30 seconds then power up.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
With the latest updates installed the following event occurred:
Log Name: System
Source: Display
Date: 1/25/2016 10:16:06 AM
Event ID: 4101
Description:
Display driver igfxLP stopped responding and has successfully recovered.​

Screen goes black but shows the [Time, Date, WiFi, Battery] display overlay.
This time it recovered as opposed to locking up.

It just no longer displays the message on screen and the whole screen goes black instead of continuing to display the last image. Otherwise, same stuff different day.

Zippy0n

Hmmmm ive never had that, just to clear things up is the display driver crash where the screen goes black and as you said you can only see Time, Date, wifi and Battery, or is it when there's a little flicker and there's a notification (on W10) on the bottom right that the intel display driver crashed and has been rebooted?

Turbo4AWD

I was actually having pen issues.... and then the update finally successfully installed. Problem gone. Battery seems much better. Reliability seems better too. Less crashing, slowdowns, lockups. I've had the update since Monday so... yeah... I'll report back if I notice any issues.