What's new

Love it, but so many issues... and having to restart to fix

superpupz

I love my surface, but I have been having issues with it.....
1) It loses sounds every now and then and needs to be restarted to get it back on
2) It loses the Windows button (on the actual device itself) ability to be pressed and vibrate and needs to be restarted back on

Does anyone have the same issues as above. All the latest firmware has definitely been installed. It's frustrating because I want to really love this thing....

kundas1

so many issues? its just 2 things and those are just small things, I wouldn't get so overly frustrated with that I mean who uses the windows button that much? the sound cutting in and out can get annoying yes, so with that said perhaps you just need to do a factory restore and that should clear it up, back it up first so you won't lose anything.. good luck

luv2skipow

I have noticed the button issue and some lock UPS.
Just be patient.
My rt and S2 got way better quickly with updates.
The price for being bleeding edge.

A_C

I share your frustrations, and also feel "so many problems" is appropriate, more because of the number of instances rather than the types of problem.
Just commiseration... I also love it for what it does, but am frustrated with the many (little) issues.

I lose sound, too. My apps regularly crash (Explorer, Facebook*, Drawboard, OneNote, Mail), and I've been forced on more than one occasion to restart to fix buggy performance, including inability to access the start screen or an incompletely visible start screen. In less than one month of ownership, the reliability hovers between 2 and 4.

Regarding the windows button, I turned that feature off via OneNote myself, so I don't have that problem. Here's hoping for the previously mentioned updates.

A_C

*isn't this the worst iteration of the Facebook app?

lookingforward

I have owned the S3 bundle for one week and have been fortunate to have few if any issues with it. I have installed all the Windows updates, including the optional ones.

I may have had the capacitive Windows button not work once or twice. But I do remember not being able to swipe applications from the side of the screen a few times and cycling the power button resolved it each time.

For those of you with audio issues, make sure that the Surface isn't unknowingly paired with Bluetooth speakers and directing audio to them. I thought my Surface audio wasn't working one morning and then I realized it was defaulting sound to my speakers across the house! I leave Bluetooth on, but now I switch playback devices after right clicking on the speaker icon in the taskbar.

One glitch I am noticing right now is some lag while typing this forum post, using the Metro IE browser. I just opened up Word Pad and my typing was instant with no lag. Do any of you experience this?

A_C

Yes, I often get lag in the Metro IE browser.

Interesting thought about he Bluetooth...I have no Bluetooth speakers, but its something to look into if the sound cuts off again.

OP
S

superpupz

The main issue with my surface experience is the fact that I absolutely love the device. I had the SP2 which gave me an issue with the powering off issue (power off and not being able to wake up without being hard reset). Then I had the SP3 which is perfect with no issue (one dead pixel), then I got this, which I absolutely love because it's so small and light with full windows. LOL as I type this, my mouse trackpad on my keyboard doesn't work.... so add that to the issue list. I know it's only 3, but to me, it's such a shame that this is not as reliable as it could be. I shall wait for more windows update now that I know I am not the only one with the issues....

I do love my S3! :)

InspectHerGadget

It's interesting you had issues with the sound. Me too. I also had some mysterious hanging issues. I did a system refresh but my wife complained a few times about the windows mail hanging. It then crashed and reset one night. After it restarted I tried to download updates but it hanged on that too. I had enough after that.

I had it for a week in all and returned it for a refund.

I loved it really but we were maybe just unlucky. I decided not to chance another one. Even my Pro 3 had to be returned for the very common yellow band on the screen defect. I enjoy my Pro 3 and they sent me a new one.

I really don't know what to think on this but would love to know what causes these faults and how common they are.

Korruptor

I've also had sound issues as well as multiple other issues (lock ups, extreme slowness). I was debating returning it, but I was hoping Windows 10 would fix the issues. I haven't had sound for ~4 days.

InspectHerGadget

I would log the issues and return it. It sounds like a small but maybe significant percentage of machines have an issue. If you are lucky then by all means keep it but what if it is a hardware issue or even a software driver issue that takes quite some time to resolve.

It seems most people haven't had an issue so most likely it is a hardware fault. I would return it. You could do a system refresh first but although, it fixed the sound for me, the slowness and crashes came back after a few days. I suspect a faulty component.

I returned mine inside a week for a refund.

You got to ask yourself..."Am I feeling lucky?"....Well, are you punk? (Dirty Harry)