What's new

LTE- How many will go to SP4 for LTE it is offered?

SRVwannab

I've got a grandfathered unlimited data plan with AT&T, and with my SP3 my device of first choice, my unlimited data iPad doesn't get much use anymore.

The Surface 3 will soon be shipping with LTE, and, the SP4 is rumored to be offered with LTE. Is that a big deal to you guys? Would it be a reason to upgrade?

Johnny365

I have an unlimited data plan with Sprint (for YEARS!) so I can tether to any Wifi enabled device and not worry about going over a certain GB each month. I rather do that route than get a device that has LTE built in and you have to add it on to your plan.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
In theory, sure i'd want one. In practice, nope. Firstly, as ctitanic states, why pay another bill if you already have data available on your current contract that can just be shared, and 2. in the UK, tablet data plans are a complete ripoff. Why would i pay £15 a month for 10gb of tablet data when i can pay £17 a month and get unlimited data on my phone (plus unlimited texts and 200 mins of calls) and just tether.

Companies offering LTE tablets in the UK must be pulling their hair out. They will never make any significant LTE-enabled sales so long as the carriers act as they are.

mtalinm

LTe means worse battery life and probably heavier chassis. plus, like OP I have unlimited Verizon LTE so I just use that.

NClens

As others have said, it makes so much more sense to tether a phone vs. pay another connection charge. Also, I wouldn't be so comfortable with the notion of grandfathered unlimited data. The phone companies are under zero obligation to roll over these plans. For now, they have chosen to do so, with increasing restrictions.

uksparx

I would definitely trade mine in for one with 4g as tethering of my iPhone causes heavy battery drain.

EE charge £5 a month for adding a shared data sim.

mitchellvii

Well the SP4 will be less powerful than the SP3. Will the thinner profile, lighter weight and quiet cool performance make the trade-off worthwhile? 90% of SP3 i5 users come nowhere near taxing the i5's processing power. I think for most users the SP4 would be very attractive.

** Honestly though, since I personally almost never actually remove the keyboard, I wish the SP4 would get rid of the kickstand and go to a Yoga-style configuration and keep the 3:2 aspect ratio. I know, won't happen, but fun to wish.

sillieidiot

Well the SP4 will be less powerful than the SP3. Will the thinner profile, lighter weight and quiet cool performance make the trade-off worthwhile? 90% of SP3 i5 users come nowhere near taxing the i5's processing power. I think for most users the SP4 would be very attractive.

** Honestly though, since I personally almost never actually remove the keyboard, I wish the SP4 would get rid of the kickstand and go to a Yoga-style configuration and keep the 3:2 aspect ratio. I know, won't happen, but fun to wish.

Actually, I wish that they would just make 2 keyboard designs. The current one. And another one that is like the transformer or for the Sony Z4 tablet to make it more like a traditional laptop. Then people could just pick whether they want it to be more laptop-like or tablet-like.

mitchellvii

Actually, I wish that they would just make 2 keyboard designs. The current one. And another one that is like the transformer or for the Sony Z4 tablet to make it more like a traditional laptop. Then people could just pick whether they want it to be more laptop-like or tablet-like.

Yeah I like the SP3 but I don't find it very lapable. Great thing about a hard keyboard is they could add battery life.

Last edited: