What's new

LTE or not LTE?

LTE or not LTE

• Total voters

ctitanic

To be or not to be. That's the question. To be means another data bill that you will forced to pay. I personally prefer to use my Phone as a modem and pay for just one bill.

No LTE for me, thanks anyway. Using my phone as a hotspot works quite well for the times when there is no WiFi. Like ctitanic said one bill is enough.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
LTE is something everyone wants that nobody wants to pay for :)

The only people I know using it have business accounts that cover the expense.

There is one caveat to my choice. Didn't I read somewhere that the LTE version has a GPS? I'd almost consider paying the extra for the LTE version to get the GPS (I'd just never hook up the LTE service). Now if they'd offer the GPS without the LTE that'd be hearing the customer base.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is one caveat to my choice. Didn't I read somewhere that the LTE version has a GPS? I'd almost consider paying the extra for the LTE version to get the GPS (I'd just never hook up the LTE service). Now if they'd offer the GPS without the LTE that'd be hearing the customer base.
Correct, GPS comes with LTE. TBH I think it's integrated in the same chip... so ... they didn't go out of their way to being you GPS it's just along for the ride with LTE. :)

OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

That could be a good reason but I have experienced GPC in a PC in my car and the inconveniences overpass the conveniences. I'll stay with my car GPS.

That could be a good reason but I have experienced GPC in a PC in my car and the inconveniences overpass the conveniences. I'll stay with my car GPS.

If my vehicles had GPS, I'd probably agree. And since it's already on my phone, I probably don't need it on my tablet. How many GPS devices does one person needs, and there is probably a USB GPS available if I really want one.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
GPS will work without any data plan or connection to LTE. The GPS chip provides proper NMEA Sentences contstructed from position information, which are subsequently used by mapping software, and other location-aware programs and apps.

Glad to see LTE on the way. If you don't want a cell Skype connection or data plan, no need to buy it, though the hardware is there.

Reminds me of when cars were sold with an AM/FM radio, or a blank spot in the dash where it would be. Even if you don't listen to radio in the car, you might want to buy a car with a radio. :)

radio-blank-out.jpg

Last edited:
OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

If my vehicles had GPS, I'd probably agree. And since it's already on my phone, I probably don't need it on my tablet. How many GPS devices does one person needs, and there is probably a USB GPS available if I really want one.
Correct, there are many GPS USB devices out there.