What's new

Solved Mac mail not sending

JJDiver

Just a couple days ago I started having problems sending mac mail from the mail app on my Surface Pro 3. Receives fine, just wont send. Error message is contact service provider. Mail works fine on all other devices.
Any idea? I've tried to re-install the account and can't. Bought Outlook and tried installing mac mail account and couldn't . Frustrating.

leeshor

Being able to get mail is usually easier than the sending part. Are you using SMTP settings provided by your Internet provider or the mail provider? What is the mail provider and is it set up as POP or IMAP?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
... and the Service Provider said ???
They have the option to permit or reject clients that are not a true Mac client or to selectively permit validated clients. Likely the result of clamping down on spammers.

OP
J

JJDiver

Being able to get mail is usually easier than the sending part. Are you using SMTP settings provided by your Internet provider or the mail provider? What is the mail provider and is it set up as POP or IMAP?

I have tried several times the proper settings that I am successfully using on all other devices. The incoming mail is IMAP and outgoing is SMTP.

OP
J

JJDiver

... and the Service Provider said ???
They have the option to permit or reject clients that are not a true Mac client or to selectively permit validated clients. Likely the result of clamping down on spammers.

I thought it may have to do with a recent update to either windows or IOS. All was good until 3 days ago.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Try these ports outgoing:
25, 587

Also, you may want to disable IPv6 on your wireless adapter, if currently enabled. The email protocol may be detecting a previously unknown IP address from you, and blocking it.

I am having the same problem with my .mac and/or .icloud.com accounts. Everything has worked fine on Surface Pro 3 and Macbook Pro and iphone6 till just a few days ago now I have a bunch of emails in the Surface Pro 3 that won't send - waiting in the outbook- extremely frustrating when technology suddenly stops working even when you have not changed anything on your end.

leeshor

I am having the same problem with my .mac and/or .icloud.com accounts. Everything has worked fine on Surface Pro 3 and Macbook Pro and iphone6 till just a few days ago now I have a bunch of emails in the Surface Pro 3 that won't send - waiting in the outbook- extremely frustrating when technology suddenly stops working even when you have not changed anything on your end.
Welcome to the forum

It's possible that one of the messages you tried to send was malformed in some way and got stuck. If that's the case all the other mail will get stuck behind it. Just a thought.

OP
J

JJDiver

I've found the only way to fix the problem is uninstall Mail and re-install. Ito works for a week or so then stops

Telstar1948

I used Macs for a number of years before coming back to Windows. I've had a .me email address for quite a few years and still use it today. It's functioning normally, but over the years, from time-to-time, it would act up then eventually clear up. Not sure what was happening, but during the time you reported your issues I didn't have any with my .me account.