What's new

Macgirl here, considering dumping my Mac and ipad for a SP3

InspectHerGadget

But an 11 inch MBA isn't a tablet its a laptop and 40g in laptop mode is not only insignificant it's irrelevant. I wouldn't use an SP3 as a tablet with the keyboard attached, further more 1.71 is not closer to 2 than 1.5. These weak and false arguments fall flat.
I think you're taking simple comparisons out of context.

An iPad is about 470g so very much lighter for instance and smaller and may have been a better comparison. The newer one is 437g, almost half the weight.

Some SP3 users use their machines for everything but other's like me don't, for reasons mentioned.

There is definitely a market for a Broadwell M based Surface in an ultra compact form factor.

You can't have everything though, compromises all around if you want the holy grail of one device for everything, something I've never myself believed in and hence the debate.

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

Just want to ask, is there any incentive or reason in keeping my 16gb ipad air when I have SP3? THe air is smaller, lighter, and more ideal when used as a reading device. It also has the App store and all the games. But is it enough to warrant having a $300-320 device laying around the house? (thats how much I would resell it for). I paid $400 for it a year ago.

As has been pointed it above, this is completely dependent on your use-case scenario. That said, I do have an iPad Air and I have a very specific purpose of it. As I am in academia, I have to read a lot and use what I read as reference texts etc. I have managed to convert a large part of my physical library which at last count numbered over 3.5K books into digital formal - some PDF and some ePUB. I have uploaded all these onto OneDrive. Now, when I just want to read a text, I could use either the SP3 or the iPad. But when I want to read AND write, then I use the SP3 for the former and the iPad for the latter. I have also found that when traveling, often times, I will pick up the iPad but because of the form factor and the dimension. It is a bit easier to handle. And, even though I can't imagine being without my SP3, which has become my workhorse device, I also cannot deny that for the purposes for which I use the iPad, that is reading, it has very slick apps. But equally, there are also limitations to using the iPad - at least for me. If I want to mark up documents (particularly PDFs), then the SP3 is my go-to device.

The point, therefore, that I am trying to make is that each device has its own strengths and weaknesses and how one leverages them determines the use-value of the device to the user. And, there is no law in the world which says that one has to be exclusively dedicated to a single device. Such laws of exclusivity are, as far as I know, restricted within the institution of marriage only.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
As has been pointed it above, this is completely dependent on your use-case scenario. That said, I do have an iPad Air and I have a very specific purpose of it. As I am in academia, I have to read a lot and use what I read as reference texts etc. I have managed to convert a large part of my physical library which at last count numbered over 3.5K books into digital formal - some PDF and some ePUB. I have uploaded all these onto OneDrive. Now, when I just want to read a text, I could use either the SP3 or the iPad. But when I want to read AND write, then I use the SP3 for the former and the iPad for the latter. I have also found that when traveling, often times, I will pick up the iPad but because of the form factor and the dimension. It is a bit easier to handle. And, even though I can't imagine being without my SP3, which has become my workhorse device, I also cannot deny that for the purposes for which I use the iPad, that is reading, it has very slick apps. But equally, there are also limitations to using the iPad - at least for me. If I want to mark up documents (particularly PDFs), then the SP3 is my go-to device.

The point, therefore, that I am trying to make is that each device has its own strengths and weaknesses and how one leverages them determines the use-value of the device to the user. And, there is no law in the world which says that one has to be exclusively dedicated to a single device. Such laws of exclusivity are, as far as I know, restricted within the institution of marriage only.
Excellent.

I was with you right up to the last sentence. Id equate marriage to bias in that they both represent a mental bond which I think many people enter into. Occults and clubs or some organizations present as examples of such exclusivity as well. :)

InspectHerGadget

Yes, my MBA 11 is for work but I still enjoy using it sometimes. It is an amazingly polished device, everything just works so smoothly on it. I use
Such laws of exclusivity are, as far as I know, restricted within the institution of marriage only.
I naïvely thought when I got married, the marriage license was like a club where you could be with anybody that was also married. I was shocked to find out that...

kristalsoldier

Yes, my MBA 11 is for work but I still enjoy using it sometimes. It is an amazingly polished device, everything just works so smoothly on it. I use

I naïvely thought when I got married, the marriage license was like a club where you could be with anybody that was also married. I was shocked to find out that...

Surprisingly, I know of precisely such clubs - in America, Europe and Asia!!! Exclusivity, in the so-called post-modern world, is a contested term! :))

mohcho

Interesting turn in this conversation. I will make a short comment about the tangential discussion and get back to the subject at hand. Marriage IS an exclusive institution that sadly has taken the brunt of this post-modern world to the detriment of many. Once we start to water down the things that hold society together, many other things start to fall apart.

As to the original discussion, the exclusivity of using a particular device is obviously limited to your ability to afford more than one premium device like the SP3 or an iPad Air. I guess for this group of people here, having the ability to have multiple premium devices allows for points of comparison, but most people do not have that luxury.

Chris Grew

I am a Windows user because I have to be and find that every 12 - 24 months a laptop will give up on me. I have a policy of allowing up to a few hours to fix it. If I cannot, it gets replaced. Time is indeed money for me.

Mac's by comparison go on for ever. I have:

iMac 25" which I think is about 6 or 7 years old
iMac 27" which is about 5 years old
Mac Book Pro 17" which is also about 5 years old
iPad 1
iPad 4

The first two have never gone wrong. The iMac 25" is in use by my teenage Daughter which as I am sure you are aware is probably as tough as it gets!

The MPB has given me a bit of trouble, but earlier this year I took it to the Genius Bar - Apple Store where they repair kit - They thought it was a cable so replaced it and charged me parts only - £4.00

Soon after it went wrong again, so the Apple next level of support collected it, called me every day to explain what was happening. They replaced the mother board and various other bits. Returned to me as a new computer with no charge!

I use Macs for my photography work and love everything about them. Over time they have been far cheaper to run than the plethora of Windows computers I have owned.

However!

That aside, as mentioned, I need Windows computers. I have been buying cheap laptops and replacing them when they go wrong.

My last, just over a year old laptop with Windows 8 ground to a virtual standstill and as luck would have it I saw a friends new Sony touch screen laptop that has just become obsolete. Loved the idea of it and after much research went to John Lewis to see what they had. I had almost chosen an Acer, but was introduced to the SP3 and felt at home almost instantly. Deciding on the top model with i7, 8GB ram and 512SSD, I bought it there and then.

Apart from problems with it's initial install of 8.1 which was corrupt this is a superb piece of kit. My iPad 4 has not moved from the shelf in my study at home since the SP3 arrived!

An awesome bit of kit which is of course a graphics tablet as well. Looking forward to working on photos in LR and PS. Be interesting to see if it is anywhere near as good as my £2,000 dedicated graphics tablet!

Regards

Chris

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am a Windows user because I have to be and find that every 12 - 24 months a laptop will give up on me. I have a policy of allowing up to a few hours to fix it. If I cannot, it gets replaced. Time is indeed money for me.

Mac's by comparison go on for ever. I have:

iMac 25" which I think is about 6 or 7 years old
iMac 27" which is about 5 years old
Mac Book Pro 17" which is also about 5 years old
iPad 1
iPad 4

The first two have never gone wrong. The iMac 25" is in use by my teenage Daughter which as I am sure you are aware is probably as tough as it gets!

The MPB has given me a bit of trouble, but earlier this year I took it to the Genius Bar - Apple Store where they repair kit - They thought it was a cable so replaced it and charged me parts only - £4.00

Soon after it went wrong again, so the Apple next level of support collected it, called me every day to explain what was happening. They replaced the mother board and various other bits. Returned to me as a new computer with no charge!

I use Macs for my photography work and love everything about them. Over time they have been far cheaper to run than the plethora of Windows computers I have owned.

However!

That aside, as mentioned, I need Windows computers. I have been buying cheap laptops and replacing them when they go wrong.

My last, just over a year old laptop with Windows 8 ground to a virtual standstill and as luck would have it I saw a friends new Sony touch screen laptop that has just become obsolete. Loved the idea of it and after much research went to John Lewis to see what they had. I had almost chosen an Acer, but was introduced to the SP3 and felt at home almost instantly. Deciding on the top model with i7, 8GB ram and 512SSD, I bought it there and then.

Apart from problems with it's initial install of 8.1 which was corrupt this is a superb piece of kit. My iPad 4 has not moved from the shelf in my study at home since the SP3 arrived!

An awesome bit of kit which is of course a graphics tablet as well. Looking forward to working on photos in LR and PS. Be interesting to see if it is anywhere near as good as my £2,000 dedicated graphics tablet!

Regards

Chris
The biggest issue I've had with laptops is the HDD going bad, no doubt from shock. Well SSDs should fix that. Beyond that buying cheap and comparing to expensive is apples and oranges.

Chris Grew

Hi Greyfox,

I shortened that as I was trying to wind up at the office.

I have experienced the same problem with a £2,000 20" Acer laptop and a £2,600 IBM Thinkpad. So no apples and oranges there I'm afraid!

My MPB came with a SSD and that was the first problem I had. Apple removed it and replaced it with a HDD. The original SSD now sits as an expensive paperweight on my desk!

Regards

Chris

Last edited: