What's new

Magazines?

GSOgymrat

Are there any apps currently available that let your read magazines? Amazon's Kindle won't display magazines. I can't get the Zinio app to work. There is no Barnes and Noble Nook for Windows RT. Any other options?

FiR3 ARIvIz

wow. this post was 2 days ago and still no answer? i dont have an answer, sorry. but the lack of a response here really says a lot about the activity on this forum.

OP
G

GSOgymrat

It is disappointing that Surface doesn't appear to have a magazine app that works. Reading books and magazines is a primary function for a "media consumption" device like Surface. A friend wants to buy my iPad but I can't give it to him until the Nook app comes out and only if it actually works because I can't read my magazine subscriptions. A friend asked if I can read magazines and newspapers on the Surface and my answer was "theoretically yes, practically no."

grahamtwatson

The Zinio app works well for me. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling? What are the problems you are having with it?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Sounds like you might want to put some pressure on B&N to get their app out since that is where your subscriptions are. Give them the strong impression that many people are really waiting on their app for the Surface and it should put some pressure on them to develop it. Also given their recent partnership with MS it seems highly likely this is already in the works. Like many things with this device that is the price you are paying for being an early adopter.

OP
G

GSOgymrat

The Zinio app works well for me. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling? What are the problems you are having with it?

First I had trouble with Zinio crashing before it fully loaded. I uninstalled and reinstalled and then it stayed open.

I tried to log into my Zinio account and it said I had the wrong password, which seemed highly unlikely because I have it written down. So I used the "forgot your password" function and it never emailed me.

Then I decided to open a new account but all three email addresses I tried said "We're sorry, the email you've entered is already associated with a Zinio account. Please enter a different email or try signing in." One of the three email address is my work email which is never used for personal use and therefore proved nothing I entered was going to work.

That is as far as I have been able to go.

OP
G

GSOgymrat

Update:

I went to the Zinio website via my desktop computer and was able to reset my password. I went back to the Surface and was able to open the app and login successfully. Yeah!

I bought a magazine, tried to open it and got the message "An unexpected error has occurred. Please make sure you are logged in to your account, entitled to the magazine you are trying to read and try again. If the problem persists, please contact customer service." Then the app crashed. I tried the process again and got the same error message and crash.

Fortunately the Zinio app on my iPad works so I can read the magazine.