What's new

Mail app vs. Outlook

vsherry

Which do you use, which do you find superior, and does anyone actually need both? I just bought Office finally, and Outlook feels like a duplication of efforts. I guess the Mail app is more touch-friendly? But I know Outlook has settings that make it more touch-friendly.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Which do you use, which do you find superior, and does anyone actually need both? I just bought Office finally, and Outlook feels like a duplication of efforts. I guess the Mail app is more touch-friendly? But I know Outlook has settings that make it more touch-friendly.
I use both - Outlook during the work day and Mail in the evenings and weekends...

daniielrp

Depends what I'm doing - if it's work stuff then Outlook, but for the most part Mail does exactly what it needs to - show me email.

Wayne Orwig

I keep Outlook going mainly because I rely on it to archive my email to a PST file on my PC. But I find I spend most of my time in the mail app.

kristalsoldier

I use both - Outlook during the work day and Mail in the evenings and weekends...

I was wondering about this. How does this work? Do you have two sets of emails that come in to Outlook and to Mail separately? Or, are the same emails coming into both applications. And, if it is the latter, then why would you use the Mail on weekends only?

Also, is it true that Outlook uses a lot more resources than the Mail app and thus impacts battery life?

daniielrp

I was wondering about this. How does this work?
1.Do you have two sets of emails that come in to Outlook and to Mail separately? Or, are the same emails coming into both applications.

And, if it is the latter, then why would you use the Mail on weekends only?

3. Also, is it true that Outlook uses a lot more resources than the Mail app and thus impacts battery life?

1. Yep, two separate emails come through, however with Mail you can set it to only download the past few days/weeks so it doesn't take up as much space.
2. Maybe he doesn't work weekends, so not as much need for a 'business' style email program.
3. Outlook is a desktop win32 app, so yes it will use more battery and resources than a mail app. Also afaik it doesn't update while the Surface is in connected standby mode (in fact I'm certain it can't).

kristalsoldier

1. Yep, two separate emails come through, however with Mail you can set it to only download the past few days/weeks so it doesn't take up as much space.
2. Maybe he doesn't work weekends, so not as much need for a 'business' style email program.
3. Outlook is a desktop win32 app, so yes it will use more battery and resources than a mail app. Also afaik it doesn't update while the Surface is in connected standby mode (in fact I'm certain it can't).

Thanks. I have considered using Outlook, but managing the ever-enlarging PST file has always been a deterrent. I hope the MUI version to be released soon will be different - though I suspect that won't be the case.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I was wondering about this. How does this work? Do you have two sets of emails that come in to Outlook and to Mail separately? Or, are the same emails coming into both applications. And, if it is the latter, then why would you use the Mail on weekends only?

Also, is it true that Outlook uses a lot more resources than the Mail app and thus impacts battery life?
Hi Kristal,

Outlook is one of the most un-optimized programs from a battery perspective, that was the reason they didn't put on it RT at the beginning, with SP1 it got better but it still impacts battery life but it is still the best Business Class Email Client with all of the PIM functionality, Lync Integration and OneNote Integration I can't live without it.

All of my mail accounts are either Exchange or IMAP based so everything just syncs across devices and mail clients, so if I answer an email in one it will still show up in the other. I use the Mail App for a causal client and also to populate notifications on the Lock Screen.

kristalsoldier

Hi Kristal,

Outlook is one of the most un-optimized programs from a battery perspective, that was the reason they didn't put on it RT at the beginning, with SP1 it got better but it still impacts battery life but it is still the best Business Class Email Client with all of the PIM functionality, Lync Integration and OneNote Integration I can't live without it.

All of my mail accounts are either Exchange or IMAP based so everything just syncs across devices and mail clients, so if I answer an email in one it will still show up in the other. I use the Mail App for a causal client and also to populate notifications on the Lock Screen.

Thanks Jeff. Any chance that this will improve with W10 - especially on the SP3 and its successors?

fletch33

i am using Mail for all my personal emails BUT it is rather annoying that i cant click on links listed in emails from forums i belong to as they are not hyperlinked and tried everything i read and no luck fixing it.