What's new

HowTo Manage Your Edge Favorites - Take Control

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
THE BELOW INFORMATION IS OBSOLETE per Windows Build Version 14316

If you have become frustrated at managing your Favorites (Favorites Bar) in Edge, you're not alone. Microsoft has moved away from storing favorite URL links in the traditional %UserProfile%\Favorites folder . Some users report replicating of hundreds of files and folders due to OneDrive trying to sync favorites, and getting confused.

With Windows 10 TH2, Edge Favorites are stored here:
Code:
%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\Favorites
and Favorites Bar links are stored here:
Code:
%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\Favorites\Links

To access these locations with File Explorer, you must view "Hidden" items. Do this by clicking View, Hidden Items in the menu bar of File Explorer, or by typing Alt+v then hh

These links may also be added to a special fly-out Toolbar on the Taskbar by right-clicking the Taskbar and choosing Toolbar, Links.

I stopped the madness of losing my Favorites Bar by creating a pristine copy of my own. I created a new folder on OneDrive (C:\OneDrive\EdgeFavorites). I copied the Favorites and Links folders there, so I could access them from any other computer, or after re-installing Windows 10 on my current computer. Then I can copy these contents to the complicated location above when needed. If Microsoft moves the location for Favorites again, I will be ready.

Locations:
%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\Favorites
%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\Favorites\Links

graye

Actually that's not quite right... after the "November Update" (aka TH2), favorites are stored in a database and it no longer uses the files at that location anymore. The update didn't do a cleanup, so those files are still there, but they are "abandoned in place".