What's new

Poll Manufacturing Defect (Screen). Anyone else?

Is the screen of your Surface Pro 3 flush with the housing all the way around?

• Total voters

jimizzle

Just received my second Surface Pro 3 from the UK Microsoft Online Store and it has the same (minor) defect as the first one I got (and returned).
Was wondering if anyone else has this on their surface?

The screen in the top right corner isn't flush with the silver magnesium housing. You have to look at a (shallow) angle to see it but there is a clear issue. What's worse is that if you press down on this area, you can make it flush with housing again: see photos below.
P1080183.JPG P1080184.JPG

I know this doesn't sound like the the biggest issue in the world but I'm concerned about how this issue could develop over time.
P1080182.JPG

raqball

Mine is flush, I think..

It looks flush and it feels flush until I have it sitting in my coffee table and I wipe it down with a microfiber cloth. When I do this I hear a crunching sound in the area of the front camera. No big deal really..

kundas1

umm that is not around where the speakers are located? then that's normal. I also feel the edge there as its the cut out for the speakers...

OP
J

jimizzle

umm that is not around where the speakers are located? then that's normal. I also feel the edge there as its the cut out for the speakers...

Thanks for your reply, but no, this is not where the speaker cut out is, its on the other edge, (see photo below):
Surface defect.jpg

kundas1

ok it was hard to tell from your first pics and the fact that you mentioned upper right, thanks for clarifying that... no mine is definitely flush and flat... but upon investigating it whn I press down and slide my finger it does kinda catch the edge.. when you DON"T press down and slide your finger does it feel nice a flush? mine only doesn't feel flush when I press down... but in no way it is a defect.

OP
J

jimizzle

Sorry, should have put up better photos but its really hard to get a (cheap) camera to focus on a very reflective surface (...no pun intended).

Grumpy2

Just received my second Surface Pro 3 from the UK Microsoft Online Store and it has the same (minor) defect as the first one I got (and returned).

The screen in the top right corner isn't flush with the silver magnesium housing. You have to look at a (shallow) angle to see it but there is a clear issue. What's worse is that if you press down on this area, you can make it flush with housing again: see photos below.
View attachment 3797 View attachment 3798

I know this doesn't sound like the the biggest issue in the world but I'm concerned about how this issue could develop over time.
View attachment 3796
Just had a look at mine. It feels flush to me although I do have a screen protector on it. More than happy with my i7/256gb model

OP
J

jimizzle

Just had a look at mine. It feels flush to me although I do have a screen protector on it. More than happy with my i7/256gb model

I wonder if it's only affecting some i5 256GB models. I asked the Microsoft store to give me the i7 the same price but they were only willing to give me £100 off. Tbh I don't feel like giving them a penny more because at the moment they have over £2000 of my hard-earned cash and I still don't have a satisfactory device. :mad:

IT_Freggel

I have the same "issue" on my i5 128gb. I wasn´t even aware of it.
Doesn´t matter really because I get a replacement unit anyway because of a dust particle under the screen/ glass and that common loose kickstand...

damn.. I voted wrong :confused:

RémiM

Guys, all the sp3 I've seen are a little flush on this area, mine included. I am speaking of around 10 devices I had in my hands.

I am not speaking about the big screen separation which is 0bviously a defect, of course.

But where there is the plastic part (camera side of the sp3), I wonder if they use the same glue as the one they use to stick the screen on the metallic frame.

I've repaired a few iPad broken screen (my girlfriend has the bad habit of dropping her iPad) and instead of using real glue, they use a kind of foam tape, that is not 100% stiff.
Tesa_Black_Foam_Tape.jpg

But as the screen of the iPad is embedded in the frame, you cannot notice anything, even if you press the screen on the edges.

My suggestion is that maybe Microsoft uses this kind of tape on the plastic side of the SP3 (maybe for a chemical reason -- epoxy glue being able to dissolve the plastic ?). And then, when you press the screen, it feels flush, not because it's unglued, but because the foam tape is a little elastic in its transversal section.

So maybe, it is not a defect at all.

Again, it is just a suggestion. If someone wants to open his SP3 to check, I would really appreciate !

BobG

View attachment 3796

Does this matter to me? No, we're only talking a few mils here. If this were specced out for military it would (maybe) be consistently flush, cost $30,000 out of which 10,000 would be lining some lobbyist and politicians pockets and the rest mostly just exorbitant profit.

wynand32

I saw an SP3 with a raised screen in this same area. Mine doesn't have it, but when it's there, it's definitely quite pronounced. I'm thinking there's something behind the screen there that if not place correctly doesn't allow the screen to sit completely flat in this spot.

Just conjecture, really...