What's new

Marvel Unlimited

gman713

Does anyone know why the Microsoft Store doesn't carry this popular app? Also what happened to the Pulse News app? I installed it on my SP2 but I can't find it in the store. Is there a way I can see the apps I downloaded in the past...maybe it's still there??

OP
G

gman713

I just figured out how to see the apps I previously purchased. The funny thing is that it shows it but when I try to download it, Microsoft states they pulled it from the store and its no longer available for me to download. Is that something new? I'm trying to think of a time when this happened with one of my iphone purchased apps and I don't recall that happening. I'm just glad I have the SP2 because I can use Google Chrome as a work around. I guess I would be pretty upset if I was using the RT version.

jefhart

It sounds like either the developer quit supporting it or they pulled it for another reason. This doesn't have anything to do with your iphone apps. They are totally different stores that operate differently.

Ruffles

It happens on all platforms. I've had iOS apps that were pulled. They kept working on my device as long as they were installed but if you removed them, you couldn't get them back...even if you paid for it :(.

godashram

And THIS is what I hate about digital markets. Unlike physical media, depending on the market, sometimes downloading delisted content isn't happening.

TeknoBlast

This happened with the Xbox Magazine app too. Good thing my subscription ended before they pulled the app. It was such a good app too.

kundas1

It happens on all platforms. I've had iOS apps that were pulled. They kept working on my device as long as they were installed but if you removed them, you couldn't get them back...even if you paid for it :(.

exactly! this shit should be outlawed when you purchased something it should be yours as long as you want it...it's not right you buy something for $4.99 and then a month later it's pulled for whatever reason... imagine you pay something even more expensive and then it's pulled after a month..2 months and your out of your hard earned money...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
With any software purchase you are purchasing Use Rights and never actually own the IP, even when you are in possession of physical media you are still governed by the EULA and if the Use Rights are revoked, legally you are no longer allowed to use the Software.

Hence, if you try to Activate XP or Office 2003 when the MS removes the Activation Servers, you are out of luck. I'm not defending it but that is the reality of the situation.

kristalsoldier

With any software purchase you are purchasing Use Rights and never actually own the IP, even when you are in possession of physical media you are still governed by the EULA and if the Use Rights are revoked, legally you are no longer allowed to use the Software.

Hence, if you try to Activate XP or Office 2003 when the MS removes the Activation Servers, you are out of luck. I'm not defending it but that is the reality of the situation.

True, but ethically speaking, if you have paid money for an app and it is pulled from the Store, then should not you be eligible for either a refund or at least a credit (for the amount you spent on the app) that you can use to get another one? This way, I would spend money on an app - it gets pulled (for whatever reason) and I am out of pocket for that sum of money. So, what then did I get for paying money for that app in the first place? The use of it for a period of time? That's not cool at all - in my opinion, that is.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't say it was right :) or defending the policy, I'm just saying that EULA (or TOS) is an important read. Apps get pulled for breaking their TOS or for Copy Write Infringement or become abadndonware. Reaching out to MS for a refund might produce the desired results (seen them credit).

I typically will purchase Apps from larger Software Houses and typically will not purchase apps built by one party to consume content from another party unless the Content Provider has a program for 3rd Party access, such as Twitter (i.e. - I wouldn't pay for a Pandora App on the Windows Store).

kristalsoldier

I didn't say it was right :) or defending the policy, I'm just saying that EULA (or TOS) is an important read. Apps get pulled for breaking their TOS or for Copy Write Infringement or become abadndonware. Reaching out to MS for a refund might produce the desired results (seen them credit).

I typically will purchase Apps from larger Software Houses and typically will not purchase apps built by one party to consume content from another party unless the Content Provider has a program for 3rd Party access, such as Twitter (i.e. - I wouldn't pay for a Pandora App on the Windows Store).

Of course, Please don't misunderstand me. I was not trying to suggest that you were defending the policy etc. But, I think the Store Owner (in this instance MS, but it could also be Google/ Apple/ Amazon) should have a policy in place that prevents such things from happening. It's a matter of business integrity, I think. But then again, what do I know about the complex matters that money-making machines deal with!:)

kundas1

see that's why people either 1) refuse to buy apps or 2) they get a pirated version of the apps they want, in fear of losing money that they paid and have the app pulled in the future, it happens quite a lot actually in this field either 3) the tablet itself gets dropped or unsupported like what happened with the HP Touchpad and then the blackberry playbook! this is totally unacceptable and dev's expect people to wanna dish out their hard earned cash! there needs to be some accountability or protection for us buyers! it kills me these companies or devs expect to dish out 6 8 10 (or more!) dollars for their stuff when it can either be pulled or device reach end of life and not supported!

Last edited: