What's new

Massive Battery Drain on Surface 3?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Did you re-direct any folders like Documents, Music, Pictures, etc. to the SD Card? Or even the Xbox Music App pointed to the SD Card? If so, it is most likely attempting to index the card in the background. On all Windows Installs the first 24-48 hours the system does major tasks in the background, typically only on Mains but it occasionally hangs or will run on battery....

OP
A

ajharper

Did you re-direct any folders like Documents, Music, Pictures, etc. to the SD Card? Or even the Xbox Music App pointed to the SD Card? If so, it is most likely attempting to index the card in the background. On all Windows Installs the first 24-48 hours the system does major tasks in the background, typically only on Mains but it occasionally hangs or will run on battery....

No, I haven't even stored anything on the SD card. I just put it in to make sure it still worked and Windows recognized it.

OP
A

ajharper

If you think it has to do with your upgrade to Enterprise, why don't you down grade to prove if that has something to do with it. The simplest way might be to do a restore to factory.

That's my last step. I have no idea why, but the Surface won't let me do a factory restore. I haven't touched the recovery partitions and when I tell it to do a reset it says some files are missing. The recovery image I downloaded from MS is at work. I don't want to download at home since Comcast imposes a data cap where I live. It's 5GB I don't want to "spend". I was hoping someone would have a solution as anything but Enterprise on this device makes it useless in my work environment. If I do downgrade and that solves the problem, I'll probably have to return it. Bummer . . .

OP
A

ajharper

I have a microCD card in the slot on the Surface 3. I have taken it out and will see what happens over the next hour.

Well that didn't solve anything. I lost 15% in the last hour. I'm going to have to either downgrade to 8.1 Core or re-install Enterprise and install updates in batches and monitor.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's my last step. I have no idea why, but the Surface won't let me do a factory restore. I haven't touched the recovery partitions and when I tell it to do a reset it says some files are missing. The recovery image I downloaded from MS is at work. I don't want to download at home since Comcast imposes a data cap where I live. It's 5GB I don't want to "spend". I was hoping someone would have a solution as anything but Enterprise on this device makes it useless in my work environment. If I do downgrade and that solves the problem, I'll probably have to return it. Bummer . . .
I wouldn't give up so quick. There may be an issue with Enterprise build but you should contact MS support about that specifically as they may already know of the issue or can fix it. could even be something as simple as a driver omitted from the pack etc.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I formatted it on the Surface 3 and did exFAT. It's moot anyway. Having the card out for the last hour still saw a 15% drain on the battery.
Post you Sleep Study and Energy Reports and maybe we can narrow something down....BTW - I'm leaving for the Airport in about an hour so I will sporadic at best for the rest of the day...

OP
A

ajharper

Post you Sleep Study and Energy Reports and maybe we can narrow something down....BTW - I'm leaving for the Airport in about an hour so I will sporadic at best for the rest of the day...

What's the best way to upload the sleepstudy file? Since it's HTML, it won't let me. Should I just change the extension? Also, MS is telling me (I'm on a chat with them) that the Surface 3 is currently only supposed to run the OS it ships with. Greeeeeat . . .

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
What's the best way to upload the sleepstudy file? Since it's HTML, it won't let me. Should I just change the extension? Also, MS is telling me (I'm on a chat with them) that the Surface 3 is currently only supposed to run the OS it ships with. Greeeeeat . . .
Um, consumer support or Enterprise Support? :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Typically we upload them to OneDrive or Dropbox and then link to them. Also do a search for deploying Windows 8 Enterprise on the Surface Pro 3 and use the same steps....