What's new

Massive screen resolution. Display percentage

bangsters

Ok I have had my SB for like two hours now. Aside from the initial issue I had unboxing it to a 0% battery then Other User on login screen, so far I have not had any issues. Yea Windows Hello was missing but that was fixed after running updates.

Now, this thing is massive, massively good! Although I did try to maximize the screen resolution by doing 100% scaling (out of the box was 200%), but it's too small. For a guy with 20/20 vision I can barely read the clock lol... and if I go all the way to 100%, when I switch to tablet mode, the buttons as still NOT finger friendly as the icons are too small.

Can we adjust the percentage automatically between desktop mode and tablet/clipboard mode? In desktop mode I prefer 125% (or even 150%), but that is not finger friendly when in tablet/clipboard mode.

Any suggestions. How did you guys configure your screens? 150% or stayed at 200%?

Loving this device!! Oh and I'm coming from SP3 i7 512GB 8GB, and SB is on a whole different experience.

bjanssen

150% would be my ideal size but my OCD won't let me leave it there because if you look at the icons (use the wifi icon in the taskbar as an example) none of them scale properly, the curved edges look all janky. So I'm back to 200% where everything looks beautiful, even if I have to have a bit less real estate haha!

OP
B

bangsters

I'm at 125% right now. I feel like 200% and I lose the extra real estate of having 3000x2000 resolution since everything is scaled 2x

flar

I don't look at the 3k x 2k as real estate, I look at it as crispness so I'm not losing anything with using it for 200% scaling. It's a practical concern as well because I can read smaller text at this resolution than I can on my 17" MBP because the characters are better formed for a given physical size. On ordinary displays I might have to boost font sizes because I'm getting to that age where you need reading glasses, but the hiDPI displays have basically eliminated that issue for me.

davidlozzi

Anyone go below 3kx2k? I'm seeing other apps just aren't scaling, so their UIs are tiny, even though my screen is set to 200%. I can't find a lower res that fills the device screen though, which is aggravating....

davidlozzi

Yea but there are apps, like gimp, that don't care about the scaling and all the app's icons are at 100%. I don't mind lowering my res, but can't find one that fits the screen. So sad