What's new

Massive WiFi issues

Eplak

Hi, and sorry for the long post, but it would be really helpful if you read and possibly reply.

I just got a new SP4 off warranty since the last one had massive WiFi issues. It would suddenly disconnect form the WiFi-card. Like the whole device was unable to connect to anything, and when it was connected, it was limited to 3-4 mbps...

Now that i hav gotten a new device, i still experience som of the same issues... The SP4 seems like it cant take advantage om my 20 mbps internet, and ony downloads with speeds of 10-16... My other computers and even my cellphone are able to get 21. Quite often i get these "lag spikes" with sudden drop of speed... down to 200 kbps, but it quickly speeds up again.

NOW IS THE "FUNNY" THING:
It seems like it has something to do with how i tilt it?! In a certain angle i get 22, in another angle i get 13 and so on... Has anyone experienced this? I get instant feedback that this is infact the issue, so i am in no doubt. What are the odds of getting a broken device off warranty, just when i replaced it for the same issues(?)

I live in Norway, so for me to send in and recieve devices is really clumsy since we have no physical Microsoft Stores here. I really dont want to send another one in, but i really need a functional computer since i am in the University. Could someone please help me decide what to do, or report the same issues?

For those wondering, i monitor the WiFi-speed with the Task Manager

-Eplak

bluegrass

I suspect it might not be a Surface problem. The tilting thing might be an indication of a weak signal coming from your wireless router. Have you tried it being a few feet away from the router? Maybe you have a friend that has a Surface could come by and check his connection to your router. There are two speeds to be concerned about here. The speed between the Surface and the router and the speed between the router and the Internet. You might try cabling to your router and checking the Internet speed. I don't think it should make any difference on the Internet speed but it would make a difference on the speed from your Surface to your router. If you right click on the wifi icon in your task tray, it will open up the network sharing center where you can click on you connection to see the speed between you Surface and the router I'm not sure how you can see the Internet speed using task manager. I thought you needed to use an app that you download in order to monitor the Internet speed (not the Surface to router speed). Good luck Wow! I'm happy to have about 5 mhz Internet speed & it's shared between my Surface, a Roku box, & a Amazon box. I know with 5 mhz, two TVs using connections to the Internet plus my Surface all work fine at the same time.

OP
E

Eplak

this is definitely now a router issue. The same thing happens across all wifi connections. I am also living i a relatively small apartment by my self with a maximum distance og 3 meters to the router.

When i said the internet connection is dropping out i meant that the whole network card drops out. I cant find any wifi, since i have no wifi antenna...

I had wifi issues when i changed to broad band here in nz. lost connection every day. The internet provider changed the router and still no luck being stable. The internet provider gave me a more expensive router and didn't have nay problems since.

OP
E

Eplak

okay... I understand that you guys think this is my routers fault, and i appriciate the concern. But i am getting an icon similar to this when the wifi drops out.. (except the wifi dosnt work..)

Attachments

• net_tray1.jpg
    net_tray1.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 450

Becosemsaida

Ok, let me see if i can help you out, one step at the time.......

- Dload and install the drivers from the manufacturor of the WI-FI card . DON'T use the ones from the microsoft site.
- ERASE all your wireless networks on the surface (just to be sure) DO NOT connect to wireless yet........
- Enter your router and set channel to auto, frequency to auto and ERASE your surface from the list.

Now restart your router, restart your surface make new connections...... This is how i solved my problems with the wi-fi from my surface.

Beco

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, let me see if i can help you out, one step at the time.......

- Dload and install the drivers from the manufacturor of the WI-FI card . DON'T use the ones from the microsoft site.
- ERASE all your wireless networks on the surface (just to be sure) DO NOT connect to wireless yet........
- Enter your router and set channel to auto, frequency to auto and ERASE your surface from the list.

Now restart your router, restart your surface make new connections...... This is how i solved my problems with the wi-fi from my surface.

Beco
I'm not aware of Marvell making their drivers available for download other than legacy chips (circa 2012)

OP
E

Eplak

I found out that this is a huge issue among several units. In the MS Community a lot of peple had the same issues. I called Surface support, and i am waiting for a response.

There was even a company buying 10 SP4s and all of them had the same connectivity issues.

I guess i just have to wait for new drivers to come.