What's new

Maybe Surface Book will give Microsoft a reason to fix scaling?

BerryAl

Hey guys.

Do you think that Windows 8.1/10's scaling issues will finally be fixed now that Microsoft kind of well, have to? Since releasing a flagship Windows laptop with a 3000x2000 screen, surely they'll be forced to improve scaling now?

P.S. This thing looks beautiful and I want one NOW please :))) can someone PayPal me a couple grand? Not sure it's in my budget yet... SP2 will have to tide me over a couple years yet.

surfdock

Scaling across monitors of different DPI is much improved in Windows 10 and I expect will continue to improve with Windows Updates. It is by no means perfect and there are several use cases that are still a little rough around the edges. The Windows team is actively listening to customers about which issues are the most frustrating and working to address them. Like I mentioned in my blog, its surprisingly complex under the covers to get everything right for every situation, but there are smart and passionate folks working hard on this.

daniielrp

Are you meaning multi mon scaling or program scaling? If its the latter then I understand where you're coming from, and it annoys me that Microsoft still haven't sorted their own programs, so what incentive do 3rd party developers have? I know some developers have created versions that work well at high DPI, but a lot haven't.

Even in Win 10, Microsoft have only done half a job. Example below is 200% scaling and it's just aggravating that they just haven't sorted this stuff yet. Explorer has nicer smooth text, but any administrative tools have blocky pixelated text and bad looking icons.
Screen Shot 2015-10-08 at 21.53.54.png

surfdock

I was referring to the multi-mon scenarios. But I know that some folks are still frustrated with single-monitor scenarios where apps/tools sometimes look blurry or have text artifacts. Text readability is extremely important and is something that I hope will also get better with Windows Updates.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
As long as there is legacy control panels such as mmc.exe they will continue to blurry, they used XP GDI Scaling, IT Professionals have given feedback not to change their tools too fast...

Reactions: Kif

dajogejr

Scaling is better.
Not fixed.
When I use my SP3 with Win10 in the dock with my 23" monitor, all is gravy.
Take it off the dock, icon sizing is wrong. Log off/log back on, it's fixed.
Put it on the dock, the icons are HUGE.

I got around this in W8.1 by creating a custom resolution via Intel GPU Drivers (1440 by 960 I believe).
Win 10 scales DPI better, but the icon sizing is messed up.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Scaling is better.
Not fixed.
When I use my SP3 with Win10 in the dock with my 23" monitor, all is gravy.
Take it off the dock, icon sizing is wrong. Log off/log back on, it's fixed.
Put it on the dock, the icons are HUGE.

I got around this in W8.1 by creating a custom resolution via Intel GPU Drivers (1440 by 960 I believe).
Win 10 scales DPI better, but the icon sizing is messed up.
I've never seen this issue with Windows 10....I use my SP3 docked at work to two external monitors and at home with another...each scales appropriately.

dajogejr

Sorry jnjroach,
I should have been more clear.
If I pull the SP3 off the dock from it being previously connected to my monitor, the tablet will have tiny icons.
If I log off or restart the SP3, they go back to normal.

If I restart the tablet and use it, then put it on the dock without restarting or logging off, the icons on the monitor (23" ) are freaking huge.
I'll edit with some pics in a few.

OK, here you go in order. First picture is my LCD screen as normal. Second is my tablet screen off the dock, tiny icons. I then log out of the tablet, log back on off the dock, icons are perfect. I then put the tablet on the dock, last picture is the LCD and the icons are huge.

IMAG0849.jpg
IMAG0850.jpg
IMAG0851.jpg
IMAG0852.jpg

Last edited:

dajogejr

Jeff, I've tried it all three ways. Secondary only (LCD), extended and duplicated.
I certainly appreciate your thought process...it's where I went too.

I also didn't mean to jack this thread and realize it's for the surface book, if you feel the need to move it, by all means please do.... thanks!