What's new

mcrophone reported by the system

stsalkit

What is the microphone reported by your device manager under audio inputs and outputs? mine shows Microphone Array (Realtek high definition audio).
The reason I am asking is that I clearly remember that the very first time I was trying to setup Cortana there was a setting regarding gain - now there is none. I have a feeling that somehow the mic reported is not the same as originally shown. Thank you

OP
S

stsalkit

Could someone look into their Device manager and write back to me what their microphone reported? please!

kundas1

mine is the same also, but Cortana is complaining that it isn't working or "isn't on" and when trying to set the mic there is nothing working... going to investigate this more...

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
interestingly both the sp3 and more surprisingly, the S3 get the message about the unsupported mic for Cortana. I think it must be a software issue, no way theyd have released the s3 that far into win 10 development with an unsupported mic. I say no way, but then again this is MS. some very bad managerial decisions got made on this release.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@stsalkit

Let's try to get you some joy. Your sound hardware and software could use a little kick in the coils:

Start Device Manager and remove your Realtek sound device. Then reboot. Windows 10 will take a fresh look at your hardware and take care of the settings. When that is done, try the microphone button next to Cortana's search bar one time. From that point on, she should be actively listening, and your microphone should be properly configured.

GTiceman

I am actually having mic issues as well. Microphone array stops being used and doesn't work until a reboot. I have a related headphone item that appeared.