What's new

Measure CPU temperature

firasatahmed

I typically use CPUIHWMonitor to measure temperature, it shows 90'F on idle situation.I think 90'F is pretty hot but just on touching the tablet i feel the temperate should be around 50'F. I am not fully convinced that this tool measures correctly, has anyone used any tool?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
90F = 32C that's pretty cool. you were probably thinking 50C as normal which would be 122F, you just got you Cs and Fs reversed.
A Haswell CPU max temp is 100C which is 212F.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why do people actually care about the cpu temps? The only time i have ever given temps consideration is when i've built my own machines and wish to optimise for maximum performance/overclockability etc.

conan1600

Why do people actually care about the cpu temps? The only time i have ever given temps consideration is when i've built my own machines and wish to optimise for maximum performance/overclockability etc.
people like to push their machines to get more performance from them. for instance building your own docking station and external cooling solution to input air into the pro 3s intake will completely stop throttling and turn it into a decent 30fps gaming rig. always looking to make our machines a little bit better. your needs may differ from others

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
people like to push their machines to get more performance from them. for instance building your own docking station and external cooling solution to input air into the pro 3s intake will completely stop throttling and turn it into a decent 30fps gaming rig. always looking to make our machines a little bit better. your needs may differ from others

I understand. But why not just buy a machine that is capable of doing what you want in the first place.

conan1600

I understand. But why not just buy a machine that is capable of doing what you want in the first place.
Because such a machine does not exist. With this machine you can go easily, travel easy, work easy and making it a bit more powerful means you can game easy. There currently does not exist a machine that can meet all these needs out of the box thus one must get creative.
personally i just like to tinker. i have a bleeding edge gaming PC, a few premium laptops and several tablets of various make but im always trying to scratch an itch. the pro 3 is very close to the form factor id like to see evolve. if it but had a usb c 3.1 so one could hook up an egpu i would junk my laptops and when a surface comes out with a REAL I5 id junk my gaming pc as well in favor of paying a premium price for an all in one system. as it is the i5 in my machine is very close to suiting my needs anyway

Last edited:

Haldi

Can't wait for the day the surface will have a 35W CPU inside and an external cooling dock which limits the CPU to 10W in Tablet mode. But yeah. Thats gonna take a while.

BTT
Intel XTU is the name of the one utility you need.
Reports all stats about CPU, GPU and power usage.
Any it also allows overclocking and undervolting.