What's new

micro SD card not working

MikeyG

Hi there,

I have just purchased and tried to use a Samsung 64 gig micro SDHC card in my new Surface Pro 3. It is reconized, but won't allow anything to be copied and it can't be formatted. I pulled the card and put it in with an adapter through the USB and it is all fine. For some reason the SP3 won't let me do anything with it and I get an error message that says 0x8007056d, whatever that is.

please can someone help? I just want more memory and don't want to return the SP as I really like it! Nor do I want to do a refresh and nuke all my Office programmes!

thanks!

olimjj

The SP3 slot is compatible with a micro SDXc card but I am not sure it will be for a micro SDHc card.
Hi there,

I have just purchased and tried to use a Samsung 64 gig micro SDHC card in my new Surface Pro 3. It is reconized, but won't allow anything to be copied and it can't be formatted. I pulled the card and put it in with an adapter through the USB and it is all fine. For some reason the SP3 won't let me do anything with it and I get an error message that says 0x8007056d, whatever that is.

please can someone help? I just want more memory and don't want to return the SP as I really like it! Nor do I want to do a refresh and nuke all my Office programmes!

thanks!
The SP3 slot is compatible with a micro SDXc card, but I am not sure it is for a micro SDHc.

Grumpy2

When I go to This PC on my device it tells me that my "d"drive is SDHC. The card I am using is an SanDisk 64GB Ultra microSDHC UHS - I. It works in my machine. Also I did not Format (naughty boy) the card when I installed it. I did expect that it would not work until it had been formatted in the Sp3. But it did work without being "formatted".

OP
M

MikeyG

I got it to work for about 5 seconds to copy stuff too but then nothing. It wouldn't erase. Is it the SP3 or the card? Ugh.

when I insert it, it goes in really funny and doesn't seem to go in all the way, i.e. rib bit is not flush with the SP3 but maybe that is correct.

Either way, what Micro SD cards have people had success with?

thanks!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The SP3 slot is compatible with a micro SDXc card but I am not sure it will be for a micro SDHc card.

The SP3 slot is compatible with a micro SDXc card, but I am not sure it is for a micro SDHc.
SD, SDHC, or SDXC is a difference in capacity and host controller.
SD capacities range up to 2GB
SDHC capacities range from 4GB to 32GB
SDXC capacities range from 64GB to 2TB
Most devices manufactured after 2010 have SDXC controllers and are backward compatible with SDHC and SD.
Most devices manufactured after 2008 had SDHC controllers and are backward compatible with SD cards.

Ref: http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2520/~/sd/sdhc/sdxc-specifications-and-compatibility

olimjj

When I go to This PC on my device it tells me that my "d"drive is SDHC. The card I am using is an SanDisk 64GB Ultra microSDHC UHS - I. It works in my machine. Also I did not Format (naughty boy) the card when I installed it. I did expect that it would not work until it had been formatted in the Sp3. But it did work without being "formatted".

SD, SDHC, or SDXC is a difference in capacity and host controller.
SD capacities range up to 2GB
SDHC capacities range from 4GB to 32GB
SDXC capacities range from 64GB to 2TB
Most devices manufactured after 2010 have SDXC controllers and are backward compatible with SDHC and SD.
Most devices manufactured after 2008 had SDHC controllers and are backward compatible with SD cards.

Ref: http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2520/~/sd/sdhc/sdxc-specifications-and-compatibility.

Sorry I omitted drawing attention to the GB size in my query.
The link points to their standard non micro cards. Does all of this hold for their micro cards? Probably. The op however indicate a size of 64GB which exceeds their stated HC range. In fact Sandisk does not list a micro sdhc card beyond 32GB in their product listings. The 64Gb size does exist in micro sdxc.
Grumpy 2 however indicates he has a Sandisk 64GB micro sdhc??? Whether that size is/was problematic in HC is a factor to consider.

Last edited: