What's new

Microsoft All-in-One Media Keyboard

benjitek

I know someone who has one they use with a dedicated media server -- they like it. They are able to use it with their Samsung non-Bluetooth SmartTV by plugging the USB dongle into one of the available ports. If possible where you live, check Amazon's pricing -- here in the states, it's $25US. I don't believe the keys are backlit -- something I've come to expect in a keyboard...

If you want to spend more, take a look at what Logitech has to offer, many of their wireless keyboards have backlit keys.

Last edited:

Haldi

25$ ? I Think I'm sold!
But why do most keyboards use USB dongles? Is Bluetooth that inferior?

benjitek

...why do most keyboards use USB dongles? Is Bluetooth that inferior?
Don't know, wish they all used WiFi so I could free up my one USB port... I do know that mouse use is a lot more precise with a dongle-use mouse than a Bluetooth one.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
25$ ? I Think I'm sold!
But why do most keyboards use USB dongles? Is Bluetooth that inferior?
Is Bluetooth that inferior? Simply put, yes. When Bluetooth grows up it wants to be WiFi. :)

High speed Bluetooth actually uses WiFi for the data transfer and just sets up a connection via Bluetooth. The Bluetooth Protocol limits what it can achieve but it does pretty good for what it was designed for.

A master Bluetooth device can communicate with a maximum of seven devices in a piconet (an ad-hoc computer network using Bluetooth technology), though not all devices reach this maximum. At any given time, data can be transferred between the master and one other device. The master chooses which slave device to address; typically, it switches rapidly from one device to another in a round-robin fashion.

Bluetooth is a packet-based protocol with a master-slave structure. One master may communicate with up to seven slaves in a piconet. All devices share the master's clock. Packet exchange is based on the basic clock, defined by the master, which ticks at 312.5 µs intervals. Two clock ticks make up a slot of 625 µs, and two slots make up a slot pair of 1250 µs. In the simple case of single-slot packets the master transmits in even slots and receives in odd slots. The slave, conversely, receives in even slots and transmits in odd slots. Packets may be 1, 3 or 5 slots long, but in all cases the master's transmission begins in even slots and the slave's in odd slots.

Transfer rates for standard Bluetooth is 1-3 mbps. The Bluetooth 3.0 + HS spec allows up to 25 mbps however that is achieved by switching the transfer to 802.11 WiFi.

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth

Haldi

umh yes... so where is the Problem? Do you use more than 7 devices ? Keyboard, Mouse, Pen? Maybe a Smartphone so like 4 devices.
Using 3 at once (transfering a file from PC->smartphone, gaming = mouse+keyboard at heavy load) each using 5 Slots (625*5 = 3,125ms) so the input lag from they keayboard under heavy load could be 3*3.125ms = 9,375ms which is below the 16ms of a screen refresh and should not cause lag, should it?
The Bandwidth limitation is there, yes, but even for a Keyboard?

Logitech is also using their own 2.4ghz frequency with Multiple devices.
Found the Technical Whitepaper for Logitech 2.4ghz http://www.logitech.com/images/pdf/emea_business/2.4ghz_white_paper.pdf
Says it's same as Bluetooth, bigger range, less energy drain, encryption, bandwith switching.....
Simply put "more premium features" than bluetooth.... but it does use a dongle ~.~

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
umh yes... so where is the Problem? Do you use more than 7 devices ? Keyboard, Mouse, Pen? Maybe a Smartphone so like 4 devices.
Using 3 at once (transfering a file from PC->smartphone, gaming = mouse+keyboard at heavy load) each using 5 Slots (625*5 = 3,125ms) so the input lag from they keayboard under heavy load could be 3*3.125ms = 9,375ms which is below the 16ms of a screen refresh and should not cause lag, should it?
The Bandwidth limitation is there, yes, but even for a Keyboard?

Logitech is also using their own 2.4ghz frequency with Multiple devices.
Found the Technical Whitepaper for Logitech 2.4ghz http://www.logitech.com/images/pdf/emea_business/2.4ghz_white_paper.pdf
Says it's same as Bluetooth, bigger range, less energy drain, encryption, bandwith switching.....
Simply put "more premium features" than bluetooth.... but it does use a dongle ~.~
In a perfect world or something pretty good, Bluetooth works amazingly well. I recently tested playing music to a Bluetooth speaker, and using Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse at the same time with good results other than the occasional pop on the speaker when I had my WiFi also on 2.4ghz band. That's where Bluetooth runs into trouble when things aren't so ideal and there's interference from other devices like wireless phones, microwaves, baby monitors and security cameras, plus the other computer equipment you have. Further hindered by having to wait for it's slot to transmit or retransmit and hopping around from channel to channel like a dog dodging the cars on the freeway. If it was trouble free all these dongled devices would hop on the Bluetooth bandwagon in a New York minute. Reality speaks for itself.