What's new

Microsoft confirms public preview of Windows Blue in late June

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
microsoft-transparent-folding-windows-logo.png

Microsoft will make available to anyone who has Windows 8 a preview of Windows Blue in June.

That's according to Julie Larson-Green, the head of Windows engineering, who made those remarks during the Wired Business Conference on May 7.

The timing isn't a surprise, given that Microsoft's Build 2013 developer conference is slated for the last week of June. Larson-Green said that Windows Blue will be available at the end of June to anyone with Windows 8 via the Windows Store.

Update: Does this also mean there will be a public consumer preview of Windows RT Blue at the same time? I asked and a Microsoft spokesperson told me the company had no comment. Tipsters have said previously that there will be a version of the Blue update for Windows RT later this year, however.

According to previous tips and leaks, Microsoft is close to completing what's believed to be the second internal milestone build, known as the Milestone Preview, of Windows Blue. Shortly after that, Microsoft is expected to make its one-and-only Windows Blue public preview available to consumers.

Earlier this week, Microsoft officials said to expect the company to make Windows Blue available by holiday 2013. I am still continuing to hear Microsoft is on track to release to manufacturing (RTM) Windows Blue by August 2013 or so.

Continue Reading @: Microsoft confirms public preview of Windows Blue in late June | ZDNet

J515OP

Super Moderator
I am sure Blue will bring many necessary changes to Windows 8. However it is what is missing (or not reverted) that will probably get the most attention and draw the loudest complaints. The same was true of the release of Windows 8 itself, with more comments being about what was no longer than what is better (yes there are things that are better ;)).