What's new

Microsoft Dock Results

DanL

Thanks for this info. Do you always have to keep the power plugged in? I'm wondering if it can be unplugged so that my Surface isn't always being charged once the battery is full. Also how do you hook up a 2nd monitor since it only has one port? Do you have to set up the 2nd monitor thru one of the 2.0 USB ports?

The dock charger has a light just like the regular charger. It shuts off automatically when charge is complete. You can leave it plugged in or unplugged.

DanL

Wow cool good to know, I thought the 24w was simply incompatible. Now I have to weigh all 3 options. Damn. haha.

Nothing wrong with charging with less power. The back of my 48W charger says: 12V = 3.6A. 5V = 1.OA. If someone has a 24W charger check to see what the output amperage is.
The amperage difference would tell you how much longer the charge time will be. Most android wall chargers run 1 amp or less. Apple products charge at 2 amps but they will charge
just fine on the 1 amp, usually twice the charge time.

dougpaw57

The Surface RT charger I bought for travelling is 12V = 2A. It's funny, I bought it because it was so much smaller to carry around. Now that I've had it, I never even use the 48W charger anymore.

mtalinm

I bought the dock a month or so ago when it was briefly in stock on the website. In short, I love it.

I have a 27" monitor plugged into the displayport, a wireless mouse and phone charger in the USB ports, and an extra USB monitor.

Very much like how easy it is to set the SP in the dock and "snap" it into place. Kinda wish the angle were q little lower but that's okay.

I use the type cover 2, no external keyboard.

If the Ethernet is slow I have not noticed compared to my desktop machine.

The plug is NOT the same as the SP charger but is dock-specific.

Other questions?

jackh

The dock charger has a light just like the regular charger. It shuts off automatically when charge is complete. You can leave it plugged in or unplugged.

I have the dock works great BUT the light does not shut off when the Surface is charged-My light is always on and Surface shows 100% charged when in the dock-Also if I unplug the Dock power cord I lose all power to my External monitor & USB Hard Drives that are connected to the Dock--
Jack

DanL

I have the dock works great BUT the light does not shut off when the Surface is charged-My light is always on and Surface shows 100% charged when in the dock-Also if I unplug the Dock power cord I lose all power to my External monitor & USB Hard Drives that are connected to the Dock--
Jack

Yesterday was the first time I noticed the dock light turn off on my setup. I've only had it for a week. My surface was fully charged last night, haven't used it today. I just plugged the docking station in and the light came on for about 15 minutes then turned off. Turn on the S2Pro and the light will come back on. Looks like in my situation with the S2Pro turned off the light will turn off when it reaches full charge.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

Jack

Ok now you guys are confusing me. On one hand it sounds like a perfect device and the light goes off when the surface is fully charged and in fact the Dock can even be unplugged from the wall with no problem but on the other hand it is not this perfect device and the light doesn't go off and if you unplug the dock from the wall the dock looses all power and is therefore useless while unplugged.

So which is it?

jackh

Ok now you guys are confusing me. On one hand it sounds like a perfect device and the light goes off when the surface is fully charged and in fact the Dock can even be unplugged from the wall with no problem but on the other hand it is not this perfect device and the light doesn't go off and if you unplug the dock from the wall the dock looses all power and is therefore useless while unplugged.

So which is it?

OK I have never had the surface in the dock with it turned off so it may be the case if off the light will turn off once charged
but unplugged dock definitely cuts off all things plugged into all the ports. At least in my case
Jack

scfoster

The dock comes with a power supply, but it's not the same one as is used with the Surface by itself (see the image in the bubble below). Would have been nice if it was.
Was in the Microsoft store today and got a good look at the dock. It's very well made. You place the Surface in the tray then push the two sides together. Very easy and solid.
The one thing that really really bugs me is the ethernet port which is 100Mbps, not 1 Gbps (really????). For $200 that's inexcusable.

04b55ae3-366a-49f7-b0c4-8517dc483a76.png

I purchased a Plugable UD-3000 docking station, so we'll see how that works. It's half the price, but I needed to purchase some cables for about $12 to make it work with my Apple LED display.

Last edited:

wseverino

The dock comes with a power supply, but it's not the same one as is used with the Surface by itself (see the image in the bubble below). Would have been nice if it was.
Was in the Microsoft store today and got a good look at the dock. It's very well made. You place the Surface in the tray then push the two sides together. Very easy and solid.
The one thing that really really bugs me is the ethernet port which is 100Mbps, not 1 Gbps (really????). For $200 that's inexcusable.
Agree bugs the crap out of me also, everything I have in my house is GB Ethernet and not putting this on a 200 dollar dock is ridiculous.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

Yesterday was the first time I noticed the dock light turn off on my setup. I've only had it for a week. My surface was fully charged last night, haven't used it today. I just plugged the docking station in and the light came on for about 15 minutes then turned off. Turn on the S2Pro and the light will come back on. Looks like in my situation with the S2Pro turned off the light will turn off when it reaches full charge.

OK I have never had the surface in the dock with it turned off so it may be the case if off the light will turn off once charged
but unplugged dock definitely cuts off all things plugged into all the ports. At least in my case
Jack

Thanks for the updates. I'm still on the fence trying to decide if this is for me or not.

DanL

So which is it?

I don't see any reason you couldn't leave it plugged in. In my case, it was plugged in and turned off. When it reached full charge the charge light turned off. In the other case the Surface was turned on and the light stayed on.
It probably stays in continuous charge when the Surface is running. Either way, you were concerned about overcharging and that's not going to be a problem.