What's new

Microsoft issues apology for Surface issues

That sure beats Apple which never has any problems that it will admit to: Apple is ignoring a major problem with MacBook screen stains | Apple | Geek.com

Like robertcan, I am 'trying' to use my Surface Book after being a long Apple user (16 years for me). Every Apple Laptop I owned with a CD/DVD went bad during it's life, BUT apple has (for the PC) a single number, call them, advance replace if needed, and SMART people. Apple has flaws, but the address them.

My SB arrived unable to setup? OMG how could they do that? Then an hour trying to find a phone number for support. Called 7 different numbers and ended up agreeing to PAY $400 FOR SUPPORT (it was never charged, but got me to someone who could route the call), then over an hour with a support engineer that could not fix the issue.

There is a BIG difference between, iPhone stabilizer issues on some phones, and having this type of a launch.

1) Microsoft Store did not know which models they would get in
2) Microsoft Store do not know what they have in stock or not, had arms full of the accessories working with one store employee while the other went to get the SB, to discover 15 minutes latter that they did not have them, and would not get them, even though the sign on the display said it would.
3) Microsoft Store could not get demonstration units, Best Buy had them before the store
4) I went back to the Microsoft Store 3 times to get my SB and it was never there. The third time the Microsoft Employee told me that the product was not going to launch for another 3 weeks (I got one that week).
5) I am still waiting for the Microsoft Store to email me that they have my SB that is 'store back ordered'
6) Online Microsoft Store would show 'sold out' verse permitting you to put an order in and get a future ship date.
7) Did I mention that when I did order one from Best Buy, it arrived in an inoperable mode that took me hours to fix?

Apology was needed....

My SB is much more stable, but still can not 'trust' that when I walk up to use it, that it will not take 5 minutes of rebooting, prodding, removing screen, flipping, reconnecting to dock, and a small prayer to be able to do the Rocket Science I do with it, Outlook, Excel, and OneNote.

The Surface book, I hope, will be the start of a long line of incredible office machines that permit me to do business better. Today, I get to exercise my inner engineer and fix things as they come up.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
My SB arrived unable to setup? OMG how could they do that? Then an hour trying to find a phone number for support. Called 7 different numbers and ended up agreeing to PAY $400 FOR SUPPORT (it was never charged, but got me to someone who could route the call), then over an hour with a support engineer that could not fix the issue.

Sounds like user error to me ;) An hour? It takes 5 seconds to type surface support into google and go to the surface help desk.

robertcan

In my opinion, MS made a conscious decision to launch SB and SP4 and considered "poor customer experience" as an acceptable risk to the launch. What's missing here is the numbers. We don't know the percentage of failures. All of us posting our negative experiences could be part of a very small group. If testing showed a 2% expected failure rate, then 98% of buyers are having a lovely time with their new machines. I doubt that's the case, but we simply don't know what we don't know :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
In my opinion, MS made a conscious decision to launch SB and SP4 and considered "poor customer experience" as an acceptable risk to the launch. What's missing here is the numbers. We don't know the percentage of failures. All of us posting our negative experiences could be part of a very small group. If testing showed a 2% expected failure rate, then 98% of buyers are having a lovely time with their new machines. I doubt that's the case, but we simply don't know what we don't know :)
Customer Reviews on Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart, Target range 56- 66% positive (except best buy is 90% ) 10% neutral, 30-35% negative. Still not a scientific sample so has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Keep in mind positive or negative doesn't necessarily equate to problem free or problem laden.

IMO If the high problem rate was 20% the complaining would be off the charts. I received two units with problems and returned both. I doubt its in the low single digits either, so likely in the low double digits 10-12% is my USWAG (unscientific wild a** guess).

mva5580

I tried both a Surface Pro 4 and a Surface Book, and experienced pretty much every single "typical" complaint I've seen in the forums about both devices. GPU crashes, type cover not working when waking from sleep, overall sleep drain problems, everything.

In the end all of the problems were just too much for me to feel like dealing with as I don't NEED to deal with those types of things for my mobile device.

The Surface Pro 4 is probably my most ideal mobile device I could have, but I just continue to be frustrated by the battery life/sleep issues and the overall quirkiness of them.

robertcan

The Surface Pro 4 is probably my most ideal mobile device I could have, but I just continue to be frustrated by the battery life/sleep issues and the overall quirkiness of them.

"Quirkiness" is an excellent characterization of the experience. I like the SP4 a lot, but I find myself becoming increasingly more annoyed by it's quirky behavior. Most recently mine is loosing "touch" (pun intended) for up to 30 seconds. It used to be a few seconds at a time but now its happening more frequently and takes longer to restore itself. A few days ago I lost most of the tiles on my Start screen. It stayed that way for three reboots then resolved.

All this creates a level of distrust. I question its reliability and that's not something you want a new customer to feel about your product. Is it software, is it hardware? Who knows?

Niterider4

I have learned a couple of lessons with my SB purchase.

First, I won't put much faith in what Panos Panay has to say anymore. Clearly, he will say anything in order to boost product sales. Either he outright lied or he didn't know what his own company was doing - either way, it's a problem.

Second, just because it's Microsoft hardware running Microsoft software doesn't mean it won't have a thousand glitches. I bought the SB early because the form factor is perfect for me, and I have been waiting for this kind of device for a long time. But next time I would wait it out and let the dust settle before plunking down my hard earned money.

I think the SB is a great device in theory. I would hazard a guess that SB3 will be just about perfect.

Sounds like user error to me ;) An hour? It takes 5 seconds to type surface support into google and go to the surface help desk.

Yes, why would I not google Surface, verse Microsoft Support...? I think when your $2000+ PC is not working, a phone number and or URL in the little book the included would have been worth it.

With Respect To the comment on Google Surface support.... just did tried to get support from their web site (this is a server side error to be clear)

Server Error in '/surface' Application.
Runtime Error
Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>​

Today the Surface Support Website will not go pass step 2 in getting support. Meaning put in seal number but never permits the next step. I called the MS number I found before and have been on the phone for an hour just to resolve a warranty date issue.

Verification Code to prove who I am - 2:40, at 3:34 I am still waiting for them to fix the issue in their systems....

They do have a few .... things to smooth out.

That being said. I went to the web-chat earlier today, when it was working and in an hour have a Surface Book Replacement on its way to me.
Wait why would I assume that? They gave me an order number, but still have no email....

I Assume I have one being sent!​

I think my way was better.... I am now 6 days into the 'RMA' being processed, and with the 'surface support' that you recommended,

Surface support - "Sorry about the issue, due to holidays it will arrive Monday'
Me - "So your telling me that the email that I received that you would email me the shipping information 24-48 hours from last Sunday was wrong? You shipped it?"

SS - "Yes it was due to arrive on the 24th, but was held until Monday"
Me - "Then what is the tracking number?"

SS - "We do not have that yet"
Me - "How can you have shipped something, it was to be delivered, now delayed, but no tracking'

SS - "I will need to look into this and email you"
Me - That is what the Agent told me on the 22nd?
Me - You do realize I am not confident that there is anything shipping as no one can find me a tracking number, and your automated systems did not send it

and on and on...... wow they are hurting.