Microsoft Might be Looking to Ditch Internet Explorer for Windows 10

Discussion in 'Surface Forum Site News' started by dgstorm, Dec 30, 2014.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member

[​IMG]

There's a new report over at ZDNet that Microsoft may ditch Internet Exploreer for Windows 10. Supposedly they are working on a browser called "Spartan" that will be light and fast to better compete with Firefox and Google Chrome.

To be clear, their report indicates that Internet Explorer 11 will be included with Windows 10; however, it will only be included to make sure there is backwards compatibility for end users. The main browser of focus and development for Windows 10 is "Spartan."

Here's a quote from the article with a few of more details,

Do you think that Microsoft will make such a radical shift in the desktop sector?

Source: ZDNet

VickiFL likes this.
  2. VickiFL

VickiFL Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    I heard about Spartan. From what I read, it almost sounds like they are doing away with IE in favor of this new browser, but that is just speculation on my part.

3. GreyFox7

GreyFox7 Super Moderator Staff Member

Sure why not ... IE will still be there for backwards compatibility ... at the speed of business it will be there for decades to come for backwards corporations. :)

As far as Spartan mimicking the sparseness of Chrome it's idiotic but that's all the rage nonetheless... so let it be written so let it be done. :)

4. DutchYee

DutchYee Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Should be really awesome if we get an new browser!

5. kundas1

kundas1 Super Moderator Staff Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    I don't see what the problem of IE is, I use it all the time and it is my favored browser and it works flawless for me... I don't get what peoples problems are with it...

6. lparsons21

lparsons21 Active Member

I use IE both modern and desktop all the time with very few issues.

But where in the past IE was the go to browser that worked everywhere, that's just not the case these days. Here's a couple things that made me get Chrome as a solution.

1. Office 365 Home account page - can't add a new product key for the annual subscription renewal bought at retail. I found that quite odd. I even got MS tech support online and they had to install Chrome to get it to work on my machine.

2. DFAS - military pay and benefit site, IE wouldn't log in although everything appeared correct, just wouldn't get past the login. Again Chrome to the rescue.

Personally I hate it that the web creators for financial and other secure sites can't seem to write a universal website. But I suppose it is fun to make the site 'cool'!! :)

7. Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie Active Member

I had been using Chrome but have recently discovered that Chrome continues running < something > in the background even an hour or more after the last time I used it.

I've been having a problem with Free Space disappearing on my C drive and using Resource Monitor I can watch what is writing to the disk and I see Chrome still writing something to System Volume Information directory over an hour after I have quit that browser.

I can shut Chrome down and leave the room and come back hours later and it is still sitting there running away.

If I use IE this does not happen.
    -----------------