What's new

Microsoft Office Document Cache (23 bit)

cdf3

The fan on my Surface Pro 3 was blaring away.
I went to Task Manager and noticed that Microsoft Office Document Cache (32 bit) was using a lot of system resources. My CPU was running around 70%. I disabled sync for OneDrive, and ended the Microsoft Office Document Cache (32 bit) process. My CPU then dropped to around 10% or less, and the overheating issue stopped.
Not sure if OneDrive desktop app is the culprit, or the Microsoft Office Document Cache (23 bit) process.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its that 23 bit computer ... its a very odd one that... makes it have to work harder to handle even bit operations. :D

mitchellvii

Sorry for the typo. Its supposed to be 32 bit, not 23 bit.

No worries, you were only a bit off. :)

But seriously, any syncing, downloading, updating or indexing is going to crank your SP3 fan, even if your CPU isn't hot. I believe this is preventative to keep it from "getting" hot in the first place. Remember you have a full blown I-series CPU in a tiny little crowded space with almost no air flow and an itty bitty fan. Heat prevention is a good thing.

bluegrass

Guess it worked. The "23 bit" in the title got me interested in the thread. I was hoping to find out how you lost 9 or 41 bits.

malberttoo

Out of the box, multiple times a day I would get messages about the Document Cache Handler something or other failing. Not a peep since I did my restore.