What's new

Microsoft Officially Unveils New Surface Pro 2

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
surface-pro-2.jpg

Microsoft is revealing the new Surface Pro 2 and the revamped Surface RT as of the time of this post. We will update this story in real-time as the event unfolds. Here is a breakdown of specs and features for the Surface Pro 2:

• HD display just like the original model, But with "huge improvements to really improve color reproduction."
  • Dolby sound
  • 20% faster than the OG Surface Pro - described as “Lightning fast.” - Core i5 processor - faster than more than 94% of laptops on the market
  • 8GB RAM
  • New kickstand design that supports multiple viewing angles
  • Haswell processor - operates cooler and quieter
  • 75% improvement in battery life
  • Optional new “Power Cover” keyboard accessory that more than doubles the battery life of the Pro 2 for 2.5 times more battery life
  • New docking station accessory for the Pro 2 - can be docked without even having to remove any attached keyboard covers - "Docking Station features 4 USB ports, Mini DisplayPort, Ethernet port, audio in and audio out. It can also support up to 3840 x 2160 resolution external displays."
  • Now supports better-than-HD video out for external monitors
  • Can process raw 6k resolution video footage "without even breaking a sweat"
  • New colors for the Type Cover 2 - 1mm thinner than the original covers - features back-lit keys (will be released next year)
  • More than 100,000 apps in the Windows Store no available
  • Free international calling with Skype along with each Surface 2 purchase
  • "New cover now features 1,092 integrated sensors compared to 80 sensors in the first-generation cover. The result is a much more accurate typing experience" - new predictive typing feature that corrects words even when you miss keys or hit the wrong keys
The pricing of the Surface Pro 2 will be $899, and it should be launching October 22nd.

September 23rd at 8AM EDT preorders become available for all of the new Surface products.

Source: BGR

Last edited:

minimojoman

Yes, all the accessories for the SP2 will work for the original PRO, but the Power Cover will not work for the original RT, just the pro. But the keyboards should work for the old RT just fine.

As far as the prices are concerned, I only read that the price for the 64gb SP2 was announced, 899$. And up to 1799$ for the 512GB/8Gb

bubleeshaark

Question:
Is that 2.5 times the battery life, or 2.5 times MORE battery life (3.5 times) for the power cover?

WOW!!!

Microsoft killed it!!
4GB ---> 8GB Memory
1.75 times Battery life (8-9 hours!!!)
Better kickstand
Backlight type keyboard!

Power cover: 2.5 times battery life (SP1 12.5hrs, SP2 22hrs!!!!!!!!!)

Frost

Fabulous. Now what about all us poor chumps that bought the Surface Pro 1 for $1300. Just makes me want to go to a different platform.

TeknoBlast

Fabulous. Now what about all us poor chumps that bought the Surface Pro 1 for $1300. Just makes me want to go to a different platform.

Why, this happens all the time with any electronics. I've only had mine for a few months and I don't feel like a chump because I paid full price. just the way things go with electronics.

eyeontech

Why, this happens all the time with any electronics. I've only had mine for a few months and I don't feel like a chump because I paid full price. just the way things go with electronics.

They are supposedly offering trade in deals for iPad owners...
How about trade in deals for original Surface owners.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

Really??? Why treat MS differently from other OEMs? Would you expect Lenovo to give you something because they upgrading their hardware yearly?

eltos_lightfoot

This same thing happened with the iPad 3 and iPad 4. I had an iPad 3 and it wasn't any less amazing when the new one was released less than 6 months later. It still rocked. The same thing applies here. Heck, the new Surface Pro 2 isn't like a brand new device or anything. All it adds is a new kickstand and a better processor.