What's new

Microsoft pushes out new Surface UEFI and Firmware October updates

ncameron

Correct - I wouldn't want to go to two devices, and the screen of the iPad is a bit small for me. To be honest, the form factor and advertised function of the SB are perfect for me. If my SB was reliable, it would be perfect. Unfortunately, reliability is the most important feature to me, and that is where the SB falls down.

I have not reinstalled Windows, because I hate the idea of having to set everything up again, but I suppose that's the only thing left to try.

Worth trying a DISM rebuild as it is much less disruptive than a reinstall - I did this in March and my SB has behaved exactly as designed ever since...

How to use DISM command-line utility to repair a Windows 10 image

Niterider4

Thanks for the suggestion. I ran the DSIM with both /CheckHealth and /ScanHealth options, and they both came back with "No component store corruption detected".

I presume that means there is nothing to be gained by running DSIM with the /RestoreHealth option.

I also ran SFC /SCANNOW and it also came back with no errors found.

This suggests to me that I may get no benefit from reinstalling Windows, which is kind of a PITA if I have to do it for nothing.

Maybe I have a hardware fault, which could be difficult to deal with since my initial one-year warranty period has probably expired (I bought the SB as soon as it was released).

The thing that gets me is that the two problems I am currently having (black screen on wake from sleep and spontaneous crash during work) were initially problems, then they were apparently fixed with certain updates, then they came back with the Anniversary Update. That suggests it is a software/driver issue and not a hardware issue.

Niterider4

I should also say that I think my two problems may in fact be the same problem. That is, my SB simply freezes randomly. That would explain it freezing in the middle of a lecture (when no input or output is occurring) and, statistically, it would make it more likely that it would occur at some point during the relatively long night and be unresponsive in the morning.

ncameron

Thanks for the suggestion. I ran the DSIM with both /CheckHealth and /ScanHealth options, and they both came back with "No component store corruption detected".

I presume that means there is nothing to be gained by running DSIM with the /RestoreHealth option.

I also ran SFC /SCANNOW and it also came back with no errors found.

This suggests to me that I may get no benefit from reinstalling Windows, which is kind of a PITA if I have to do it for nothing.

Maybe I have a hardware fault, which could be difficult to deal with since my initial one-year warranty period has probably expired (I bought the SB as soon as it was released).

The thing that gets me is that the two problems I am currently having (black screen on wake from sleep and spontaneous crash during work) were initially problems, then they were apparently fixed with certain updates, then they came back with the Anniversary Update. That suggests it is a software/driver issue and not a hardware issue.

Just to say that I ran the DISM process when I had no such errors, but had a lot of SB misbehaviour - especially with power issues - it cured them. It is not a reinstall of Windows, it is an image correction process..,

Wayne Orwig

Reinstall Windows or exchange the device. Mine has been solid since the updates early this year. I run office and Visual studio. I don't recall the last time I had any issue.

Niterider4

I ran the DISM process with the /RestoreHealth option, and it said that it completed successfully.

I will report back on whether it fixed my problems.