What's new

Microsoft Surface 3 review: The Pro 3's Atom-hearted brother

locknot

Hello all, I have the Surface Pro 3, upgraded from the Surface Pro 2 and am a long time windows user, my tower at home is also a windows. I use the Surface for travel mostly and am a professional animator. I purchased the surface in the hopes that it would be a good substitute for my Cintiq when I am not at home working but unfortunately it is a very frustrating piece of equipment. In my opinion the Surface still needs a whole lot of work. Not only is drawing on the tablet like dragging your pen through mud but the touch screen can be very glitchy. I have noticed some webistes don't react well to the touch interface and merely bumping something, or breathing on the tablet wrong can cause an issue. I am especially frustrated since I have a few glimpses of how great this product can be when it works on well, which is a very rare occasion. I also find it very frustrating that leaving the cursor in a part of the screen can cause a sort of ghost click that will throw things off especially when typing. I think Microsoft should have worked out more of the kinks before shipping this product out because it could have been a really cool device. Additionally besides the problems with the pen and touch interfaces I notice my surface will randomly start to spin its internal fans and heat up like crazy when I am doint something minimal like checking Google Maps. I have some of the best specs you could get with the SP3 too, Intel Core i7 processor, 256 GB of space, and 8 GB of RAM but still the heating gets crazy. Additionally the keyboard will randomly stop working and you have to disconnect and reconnect it over and over again to get it to work. I also noticed that I have a horrible issue connecting to public WiFi if it requires authentication in the browser. This is baffling to me since Apple's iOS and Android have been able to figure this one out but somehow Microsoft has missed the boat. What makes it even more aggregating is that the workaround that there are for solving this don't always work, so it is a lot of trial and error and wasted time trying to get something basic like public wiFi to function.

All in all I would say don't buy the Surface, Microsoft still has a lot of work to do. Hopefully the SP4 is an improvement but I am not about to waste my money to find out.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm, this article and thread from May 2015 are about the Surface 3 Atom.
While the above post seems to be all about the Surface Pro 3 so its posted in the wrong place.
I don't really think it's that confusing.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
" I have some of the best specs you could get with the SP3 too, Intel Core i7 processor, 256 GB of space, and 8 GB of RAM but still the heating gets crazy"

I'm not going to take his post too seriously :) Trolling so far as i'm concerned.