What's new

Microsoft Surface Pro 2 vs Sony Vaio multi flip

lorenzo994

Hi, i'm an italian student, i want to buy a tablet/PC. to take notes and also to run 3D program (AutoCad,Revit).

I'm undecided between Sony Vaio Multi Flip and Surface Pro:

What do you think about these tablet, the characteristics of these tablets are:

1) Sony vaio multi flip (portatile-tablet, with the keyboard)

Intel® CoreTM i5-4200U 1,6 GHz
Windows 8
500 GB Serial ATA (5400 rpm) (or 64 gb SSD)
8 GB 1600 MT/s DDR3L-SDRAM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 735M 2 GB
39,5cm LED, 1920x1080
Digital Pen and N-TRIG
Office 365 Home Premium Trial
Display full hd 15 inches.
1100 Euro=1492,3308$= 934,1379 pound
4 years of garantee (free)

2) Surface Pro 2 (keyboard apart)

CPU Intel® Core ™ i5 di 4^ generation
4 gb RAM
Graphic board (4400 amd series)
64gb SSD
Display 10 inches Full hd.
Microsoft optimization (i think so)
890Euro=1207,4313$ = 755,8025£

So, which between these has the best characteristics? Above all to work with heavy programs? (Revit,Autocad,Blender,Photoshop etc..) ?

Thank you in advance and forgive my english.

Afy

The Viao has a larger screen, which would be bteer. Also more RAM and Disk.
The Surface Pro 2 can match on specs other than screen size..

Dell is also coming out with laptops with very resolutions.. might want to wait for a month or so.

N.G.

I find the SP screen a little small to use with Office, and my familiar toolbars. Trying to decide whether to either convert it to a desktop and either get something bigger and more "lappable" or smaller and lighter, or to upgrade to a SP2 and hope the next version of office fits the form factor better. If I were a student, I would borrow a Surface and make sure I was comfortable using it for Office, - Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, in the manner I intend to use the new device.

oion

If you want the Surface Pro 2 for your main machine, you should have an external monitor (and keyboard/mouse) at home for heavy-duty work. Surface Pro 2's advantage over the Sony is portability (smaller and lighter). If you don't want anything else besides the one device, then a larger device is "better."

I find the Surface screen size perfectly fine for MS Office, but I also have over a decade of ultraportable experience compared to the vast majority of people who are used to 15" laptops. If possible, try out both models in a store if you can find them (or borrow from someone).

Last edited:
OP
L

lorenzo994

pheraps, the best thing is to wait christmas. Thank you.

An other question:
In the website i see sale only for surface pro 1 and RT. are there sale (discount for students) on surface 2 pro?

demandarin

The new sirface2 and pro2 is on sale on MS website. You have to click on the banner that says take a look at the new surface. Or something similar. Then it has the options there to preorder whichever one you want.

OP
L

lorenzo994

For the time being, in italy there is no possibility to buy surface 2 with sales, but only surface rt and surface 1 pro. So, i'm waiting that update italian website. Thank you.

If you're in Italy, I think this is the Italian preorder site: Introduzione a Microsoft Surface 2 e Surface Pro 2 ? Ordina ora | Microsoft Surface

The US site does seem to indicate that the student discount is only for Surface RT and Surface 2.

Student discount? Sweet, I had no idea. I'll be using that!

As for screen size, I had a 10" netbook that I used well for years and never had an issue with screen size, and it only had a resolution of 1024 x 600. But you may want something bigger.

You do get a four-year guarantee on the Vaio, though...

oion

Student discount? Sweet, I had no idea. I'll be using that!

As for screen size, I had a 10" netbook that I used well for years and never had an issue with screen size, and it only had a resolution of 1024 x 600. But you may want something bigger.

You do get a four-year guarantee on the Vaio, though...

Yeah, I kinda wish I knew about the student discount when I preordered since one of my alma maters supplies a lifetime address for alumni... :p

Screen size is always best tried in person, though I never got to handle my first two subnotebooks since they simply weren't carried in U.S. stores (available to the U.S., but sold online only through the Japanese manufacturer). I used a 10.4" 1280x768 subnotebook as my only machine for 2-3 years, but clearly that usage is fringe. But this was with Windows XP and no touchscreen--I love that zooming in on almost anything is very easy with the touchscreen these days.

Afy

I am eager to see what Dell releases tomorrow. The new XPS 15 seems to have an insanely high resolution.
Else am leaning for the Sony Vaio with 2880 resolution, 16 GB RAM, i7 and a 512 SSD. I have a need to run multiple VMs so the Pro 2 is out. I am however going to hang onto my Pro.

demandarin

Ive seen and read some reviews/hands on the new Sony tablet. Most loved how thin it was. But they all harped on one thing. How cheap it felt, build wise. They said the port flaps doesn't latch on well. Then instead of a capacitive windows button like on the pro, it has a click style button which was very hard to press in. The worst part was THAT while clicking in the windows button, you can see the screen separating from the chassis. That is a huge flaw right there. Even before these more recent reviews dropped, it was shown how flimsy the keyboard attaches to the screen when traveling. A slight bump would knock it off. The single magnet holding it is not strong like in the pro.

The best thing it has going for it is how slim it is. It has everyone wondering how come other OEM can't make their i5 devices that slim. It looks like a good tablet but to pay that much for plastic parts, that supposedly separate from the screen is a turn off. Although the pro is chunky compared to it, its built like a tank. Very solid piece of machinery. It still sets the bar on quality/premium parts.