What's new

Microsoft Surface Pro Experiencing Wake From Sleep Mode Problem Due to Power Setting

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
SurfaceProRight_610x407.jpg

As excited as we are about all the solid growth and advancement of the Surface tablets from Microsoft, sometimes we just have to report the bad with the good too. Today we read a report about an issue with the Surface Pro. Apparently, some of them are experiencing Wake from Sleep problems due to specific power settings. Luckily, there is a fix for it and we are sharing it along with the bad news. Here's the full gist of it below,

For those of you who own a Microsoft Surface Pro, another issue has been going around regarding the device not being able to wake up after it enters sleep mode. Fortunately, the fix is pretty easy and involves making a minor adjustment to your power settings.

"The problem is simple: let the device go into sleep/standby. It won't wake up. I can feel a vibrate when I push the Windows button, but that's it. I'm forced to do a hard reboot by holding the power button down for 10 sec to regain access to my machine," a Surface owner stated on the official Microsoft support forums.

So how do you fix this issue? Simple! Head over to the Device Manager and expand Network Adapters. Double click on Marvell Avastar 350N and select the Power Management tab. Checkmark "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." And there you go, the device will no longer refuse to wake up after entering sleep mode.

As you can see, it isn't too much of a problem and is easily fixed, but we felt it was worth sharing for any of our users who might be experiencing it and getting frustrated. Hopefully, Microsoft will have an official fix for it sometime soon.

Source: Microsoft Surface Pro refusing to wake up from sleep mode due to power setting | WinBeta

Last edited:

bryanhayn

This should be retitled, "Microsoft Surface Pro Experiencing Entering Sleep Mode Problem Due to Power Setting". I experienced the same problem the article is talking about, but I noticed the SP wouldn't completely sleep because the fan would remain on.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
This should be retitled, "Microsoft Surface Pro Experiencing Entering Sleep Mode Problem Due to Power Setting". I experienced the same problem the article is talking about, but I noticed the SP wouldn't completely sleep because the fan would remain on.

Actually the report we are referring to is not an entering sleep mode problem, but an exiting sleep mode problem. You must have something different going on.

bryanhayn

Actually the report we are referring to is not an entering sleep mode problem, but an exiting sleep mode problem. You must have something different going on.

I think it was the same problem, because changing the wifi power settings fixed it for me. The person who reported the problem might not have noticed his fan was still on. Or maybe we experienced different problems. Either way, we know wifi is the cause :)

tropolite

Appreciate the tip - I was getting quite perplexed and pi$$ed at the issue.
The problem for me was not going to sleep mode. When I left the SPro today running on battery and intentionally attempting to put it in sleep mode (a tap on the power button), when I got back to it after a couple hours it nearly depleted a full charge and the device was quite hot.

Looking forward to my SPro going to sleep properly now. After all I'm in Australia and it would be a real hassle having to send it back for getting fixed.