What's new

Microsoft Surface Pro vs. Haswell lineup

Intangir

Since Haswell is very close, I've been trying to decide the fate of my Surface Pro. I originally bought my Pro for a job, but plans fell through and I ended up keeping it for college classes for CAD/Notes/Sketching/etc. Well, classes are over for now and I don't return until late August. That means that from now until late August my Pro will remain as a purely recreational device.

Since I really don't "need" the Pro right now, I've been contemplating selling it, and just using the funds to purchase a Haswell tablet once those become available. Has anyone found any information about upcoming Haswell based tablets? Performance/battery life/price, those kinds of things. I would like to compare the Pro versus upcoming Windows 8 tablets to figure out if I should keep it, or sell it off.

I really want to come to a conclusion soon as once Haswell is released, I foresee the price of the Pro to drop a bit. Right now seems like a prime time to sell it, if that ends up being my decision.

So basically, what have people heard about soon-to-be-released tablets? Any good links to check out?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Right now everything is hush hush regarding real Haswell details. We are sort of in the in between period where everybody knows changes are coming but nobody really knows what. Details will be leaked and announcements will be made but it will likely stretch out to point that by the time everybody knows it will be too late. More than likely the next generation of devices won't be announced until January of 2014 (CES) and then delivered mid-end of 2014. If you want to know what is still coming this year look at CES announcements from this year and see what still hasn't come out. Things like the Helix just became available (shipping June) and Yoga 11S (end of June) and will be on sale for a year or so. New devices are not nearly as close as people would have you believe.

There’s good news for folks who’ve been waiting for Lenovo to release its first Thinkpad ultrabook with a detachable Windows 8 tablet portion. The Lenovo ThinkPad Helix is now available for purchase from Lenovo.

There’s also bad news: the cheapest configuration isn’t particularly cheap at all. Prices start at $1679.

Lenovo ThinkPad Helix hybrid ultrabook now available (for $1679 and up) - Liliputing

Lenovo’s cutting-edge hybrid Windows 8 tablet, the ThinkPad Helix, is finally on sale to the general public for the first time.
The company confirmed the news on Twitter and via email and also updated the ThinkPad Helix product page with price and reseller details.

FCC filings for the ThinkPad Helix were logged in December of last year and the tablet subsequently appeared at CES a month later.

Lenovo ThinkPad Helix tablet is now on sale?but it doesn't come cheap | TabTimes

From what we can tell, orders might not be arriving particularly soon: Lenovo's site lists a shipping time of over four weeks, and the notebooks aren't going to be in Best Buy's brick-and-mortar stores until June 23rd. Despite this, it's the first we've seen of the 11S since it was first revealed at CES in January.
Lenovo's IdeaPad Yoga 11S, the true successor to the Yoga 13, is finally on sale | The Verge

I think this is one of those situations where you really have to decide what is really important and just go with it. There is always the next big thing around the corner but at some point you just have to decide to jump in. If you are already happy with your Pro then wait. If it is collecting dust and you are convinced the next big thing is the way to go then let the Pro go now. The Surface Pro 2 will probably be announced in June but available in 1Q14. MS is in a strange release cycle so they may look to correct that and change up the release date but I would guess no earlier than the original RT release date.

mtalinm

also, keep in mind that in 2003 Intel promised to ship a 10Ghz chip by the end of the year. never happened. I'm not holding my breath for Haswell - chips that sound too good to be true usually are.

Spaniard

Intel launches Haswell processors: here's what you need to know | The Verge

It looks like Haswell adds 50% battery life, not 100%. Surface Pro 5 hours -> Haswell Surface Pro 7.5 hours, not 10 hours ?

battery-haswell.jpg

mitchellvii

Haswell that ends well.

Just for grins (and to drive J5 nuts), here's my Surface Pro II (Haswell Version) prediction:

MY PREDICTION:
I anticipate an adjustable kickstand, Haswell (of course), super HD 11.6" screen, front facing stereo speakers, more ports, bigger removable battery (one reason for the bigger screen) and the type cover will be included in the price. There will be 128 and 256 Gb versions. The 128 Gb with keyboard included will retail for $999 making it a compelling price leader in the segment. 64 Gb will be no more. There will be a slot for the pen (another reason for the bigger screen) and the weird magnetic power cord will be replaced by your standard plug-in.

While the SP II will go for a larger form factor (bigger but thinner), RT II will downsize to 8 inches.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Haswell that ends well.

Just for grins (and to drive J5 nuts), here's my Surface Pro II (Haswell Version) prediction:

MY PREDICTION:
I anticipate an adjustable kickstand, Haswell (of course), super HD 11.6" screen, front facing stereo speakers, more ports, bigger removable battery (one reason for the bigger screen) and the type cover will be included in the price. There will be 128 and 256 Gb versions. The 128 Gb with keyboard included will retail for $999 making it a compelling price leader in the segment. 64 Gb will be no more. There will be a slot for the pen (another reason for the bigger screen) and the weird magnetic power cord will be replaced by your standard plug-in.

While the SP II will go for a larger form factor (bigger but thinner), RT II will downsize to 8 inches.

Yep in that case I'm not buying ;) I see no value in that over any other ultrabook and would be inclined to look elsewhere in that case. But if what you really want is a standard ultrabook called a Surface then so be it :) Different devices for different people and for me the gen 1 form factor is unique and where it is at.