Microsoft Surface RT Best Tablet Ever, 'Reviewers' Gush

Discussion in 'Members News Depot' started by bosamar, Dec 18, 2012.

1. bosamar

bosamar Well-Known Member

My Device:
    RT
  2. J515OP

J515OP Super Moderator

My Device:
    RT
    Wow, even when they are trying to look like they are saying positive stuff they can't get away from being negative. Now I don't want people to be fanboys of the Surface any more than they should hate it for no reason but seriously why are balanced reviews so hard to find?

Title: "Reviewers" in quotes to imply so called reviewers, not true professionals such as the author.

Subtitle: "Windows 8 tablet may not be posting big sales numbers" lets just throw out first that this isn't selling well, lest anybody think it might be something to buy.

First sentence: "Forget for a moment that it won't run Windows apps, starts at $200 more than Kindle Fire HD and doesn't have a Facebook app." Nope not negative at all.

Give a couple of quotes from people on Best Buy's site then make sure everybody know they aren't real reviewers: "You can forgive the Best Buy reviewers for their lack of nuance. Of those who critiqued Surface RT, the vast majority had previously never reviewed any other products, and most never had a Best Buy user's profile until last week, when Surface first went on sale at the store (mousing over a reviewer's handle provides this info)." Forget the fact the device is so good people who have never reviewed anything before have been inspired to post a good review.

Go further to show some reviews are marketing agencies: ""Coty 09," whose activity on the Best Buy site dates back as far as Monday, had this to say: "The Surface RT is a great product that is easy to use and is built very well. This will be great for work, school and play." Who talks that way? Marketing people, according to The Consumerist's list of "30 Ways You Can Spot Fake Online Reviews." I think this exact statement has been used several times in this very forum. Why? Because the statement is simple and true.

Discount the sales again and criticize the decision to sell in more locations as desperation: "It was never Microsoft's intention to sell Surface at Best Buy, at least not until after the holidays... But meager sales apparently led to Plan BBY."

More bashing the ability of the Surface to sell and scare people away from it: "Four reviews after almost a week of availability suggests Staples isn't likely to sell out of Surface RT any time soon, but at least those who bought appear to like it." Hmm, I just read a thread here in this forum that both Best Buy and Staples had sold out of their first stock from at least one member searching to buy the Surface.

Finally finish off by scaring people about the limitations of Windows RT and how the PC makers don't think it should be called Windows: "That limited functionality, according to a published report this week, had one Dell exec urging Microsoft to ditch the Windows brand for RT devices, for fear it would confuse customers." Where is your Windows RT tablet that is better than the Surface Dell? Oh and guess what you can do 90% of what Windows can do which is 100% of what most people are going to use it for and 150% more than other tablets can do.

So sick of the FUD. This article makes it sound like it is going to be a good article about people super happy with the Surface and then subconsciously picks it apart at every turn. What a turkey.

JP

2 people like this.
  3. Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna Member

That aside, have you guys read the Best Buy reviews? Clearly not written by users but by Microsoft marketing. Tell me this guy "ChicagoGuy1012" is a real user. Yeah right!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2012
  4. J515OP

J515OP Super Moderator

My Device:
    RT
    I'd be willing to go out on a limb and say that is a real user. This echos much of what is said by real users in this forum. If it isn't a real user the advertisers are at least going out and cherry picking real comments to add into their review. Some of the things in there I would not want written if I was MS paying for reviews (you'd get ones more like the Oprah tweet or the WP commercials or the Jessica Alba statement, i.e. very controlled).

5. mrasmussen

mrasmussen New Member

that's a problem with cusumer written reviews, without vetting them, it's in a companies best interest to hit the major retailers pages and write phony reviews. Like I've said in the past I truly believe the surface is the best tablet out. Only current downside is lack of apps. They'll come.

6. jnjroach

jnjroach Administrator Staff Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    If you look through all of the reviews you'll see that most of these reviewers have been active for a long time, being rewards members/business customers, I few may be marketing but I doubt most are in marketing departments. Just about everyone who has used a Surface has been impressed with it...

7. BillJ

BillJ Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    I wrote one of the reviews on the BB site ("DrWMJ" from Philadelphia). I am a real person, not a MS employee, and I stand by my statements.

2 people like this.
  8. bosamar

bosamar Well-Known Member

My Device:
    RT
    That's what I'm thinking!

9. gpstrucker

gpstrucker New Member

My Device:
    RT
    That article was obviously written by an Apple fan LOL.

I have yet to post a Surface review at BB, but after reading that crappy, biased article I'm going to go do so now.