What's new

Microsoft Surface Survey

MariaMou

Hello, I had to create a survey for a uni assessment, and I chose to ask people about Microsoft Surface laptops. The link to the survey is: Microsoft Surface Survey
It is really quick and straightforward (just 10 questions), so if you have 5 minutes I would appreciate if you could fill it in for me. Thank you!!

**It appears that I have messed up the titles, and I sincerely apologize for any trouble that I have caused! I did not know that a Microsoft Surface laptop was announced recently, so by writing laptop I meant the whole range of Microsoft Surface products.

Last edited:

MickeyLittle

Just a thought as I may have missed something here but you may want to include that this survey is only for people buying the Microsoft Surface Laptop. I got to question 5 and then just closed out of the survey as it obviously didn't apply to me since I own a Surface Book and have no intention of purchasing the Surface Laptop.

Sketch.png

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm unsure as to the value of this survey. Question 5 for example. The surface book has not been released so how could I have purchased one based on my friends not being able to own one yet. Does microsoft have a prior laptop? I wouldn't class the surface book as a laptop, but a convertible. Can your friends or colleages really reccomend something they've only seen in a shop or on youutbe videos?

MickeyLittle

I'm unsure as to the value of this survey. Question 5 for example. The surface book has not been released so how could I have purchased one based on my friends not being able to own one yet. Does microsoft have a prior laptop? I wouldn't class the surface book as a laptop, but a convertible. Can your friends or colleages really reccomend something they've only seen in a shop or on youutbe videos?

Wait you're reading the survey wrong... The survey is about the Surface Laptop not the Surface Book. I just asked the OP to include in the original post that the survey is only for people who:
1) Have bought a Surface Laptop
2) Are buying a Surface Laptop

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wait you're reading the survey wrong... The survey is about the Surface Laptop not the Surface Book. I just asked the OP to include in the original post that the survey is only for people who:
1) Have bought a Surface Laptop
2) Are buying a Surface Laptop

Nope, What I'm saying is that as per the question you've included as a screenshot, it states what made you buy a surface laptop. And one option is that friends have one.

How can my friend have a surface laptop if it is not released yet?

I'm also unaware of any previous surface laptops which would influence me. I do not consider the surface book a laptop so would not be a factor for me, and nor would a surface pro.

the survey seems to be jumping the gun a bit. Would be more appropriate to complete it after the laptop is actually available to the public.

MickeyLittle

Sorry but I was referring to your post where you stated that "The Surface Book has not been released yet!" That's why I thought you confused...

OP
M

MariaMou

Hello, thank you very much for your help!

It is true that the survey is not of the quality I would want it to be, but I had to include only 10 questions so I tried to write them according to the assessment that I have. Hughlle, I just realized my mistake here, thank you for that!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
As a current university student who has gone through all of this, including a survey-driven dissertation, this survey would be instantly rejected on ethical grounds. I assume, based on its design, that you are a 1st year student and that ethical approval is not required?

OP
M

MariaMou

Actually yes, exactly!

It was supposed to be just a small survey and analysis of the results, so I wanted to get real participants and not fake anything. This is why I posted this here. However, you have helped me much more than that. Thank you for that.

kristalsoldier

As a current university student who has gone through all of this, including a survey-driven dissertation, this survey would be instantly rejected on ethical grounds. I assume, based on its design, that you are a 1st year student and that ethical approval is not required?

Just as an aside and out of sheer curiosity: Can you point out what the ethical grounds would be which this survey violates or based on which it would be rejected?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
To start with it has an age category detailing less than 18. For university research it is pretty much an absolute no no to use any participants under 18. In addition it lacks a participant information form detailing the contact details of the researcher and their supervisor; how the data will be used, stored, deleted,amdwho will have access to it; purpose of the research; details regarding anonymous nature of data, right to withdraw without prejudice etc; and lacks any statement or check box whereby the participant agrees to the terms set forth in the participant information sheet.

For 1st year it would be fine as this kind of thing is routinely done as a low-weighted assignment to get students used to research (and because the results are almost always just fabricated :D), but if it was like this for a dissertation it would be shot down by the this board within seconds.

OP
M

MariaMou

I did not know some of the parameters you mentioned, but to be honest, I thought that you were referring to data integrity because of the false title. The less than 18 category was actually a survey monkey question and I did not change that for this reason :)

Anyway, it is supposed to be a very small survey (20 participants), low-weighted as you also mention. I have gathered my data and I will analyze them now.

Thank you all very much for taking this survey! You have helped me a lot!