What's new

Microsoft Universal Mobile Keyboard with Surface Pro 3

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I have been using the Microsoft Universal Mobile Keyboard for a month, and I love this thing.
I use this reliable Bluetooth keyboard for:
- Surface Pro 3 at home and work
- iPad
- MacBook Pro Retina
- iPhone 6 Plus

This handy little keyboard can be Bluetooth paired to all these devices, and has a toggle switch to choose between key mappings. Hard keys are provided for volume, mute, media play, skip/back track, mute, and search hard buttons.

The cover detaches magnetically, and has a rubberized coating. The keyboard powers itself up when the cover is opened, so there is no on-off switch to fumble with, or forget to power down. Just close the cover.

I only got 12 hours - but I started using it upon receipt without charging it. Microsoft reports 6 months battery life. I gave it the first full charge after two weeks of about an hour use per day, and I am still on that charge

Since it is wireless, I can use my Surface Pro 3 as a tablet, and keep the keyboard handy nearby. A mouse does come in handy. The keyboard cover includes a slot to stand an iPad or the Surface in portrait or landscape. I've included a picture of the latter.

When traveling, it certainly is nice to have a keyboard for my iPhone. Greatly reduces my email via smartphone time, with more accurate typing, too.

keys15.JPG

keys31.JPG

keys21.JPG

keys22.JPG

up21.JPG

up22.JPG

keys11.JPG

keys12.JPG

keys13.JPG

keys14.JPG

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm... As a universal keyboard for mostly smaller devices the size isn't bad... but... being smaller than the Type Cover which is just smaller than a standard keyboard I think I will pass. If it was just a bit bigger than the Type Cover Keyboard Id give it a try. Maybe I'll reconsider... still wishing for my other 3rd party external kybd option.

Can we get a shot of it up next to the Surface Default OnScreen Keyboard?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
12 hours battery life seems appalling to me given what other bluetooth keyboards offer. That would be an utter deal breaker right there.

A question. What is your reasoning for using a small and cramped keyboard with a macbook pro? Seems a touch pointless to me. Or do you plug the macbook into a tv as an HTPC?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
12 hours battery life seems appalling to me given what other bluetooth keyboards offer. That would be an utter deal breaker right there.

A question. What is your reasoning for using a small and cramped keyboard with a macbook pro? Seems a touch pointless to me. Or do you plug the macbook into a tv as an HTPC?
I could see some efficiency gain with one keyboard across all devices vs different key spacing and placement.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member

1. I only got 12 hours - but I started using it upon receipt without charging it. Microsoft reports up to 6 months battery life. I will edit my original post.

2. I often use the MacBook as a media device for my TV - and can use it across the room, as an alternative to AppleTV.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. I only got 12 hours - but I started using it upon receipt without charging it. Microsoft reports up to 6 months battery life. I will edit my original post.

2. I often use the MacBook as a media device for my TV - and can use it across the room, as an alternative to AppleTV.

1. Makes a lot more sense. 12 hours in this day and age is criminal :D

2. Makes sense as well, kind of as i'd figured.

vsherry

I was also curious as to why anyone would use this with the MacBook Pro, which has a bigger, exceptional keyboard.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I was also curious as to why anyone would use this with the MacBook Pro, which has a bigger, exceptional keyboard.

My line of work is geophysics, and once last week the Mobile Keyboard was used by a team member as we collaborated on some work. Esoteric, yes. But better than shoving the computer back and forth.

At home, though, it is also useful to have an additional remote hanging around with mute and volume controls! Too bad these are missing from the Surface Type Cover.

riggi

Are there no Fn keys on that keyboard?
I would prefer a row of dedicated Fn keys to the media keys.
On my K810, I have it toggled do that the Fn keys work as Fn keys and you have told hold the Fn button to use the media control commands.
I hardly ever use the media controls, but use Fn keys all the time.

I like that the cover automatically turns it in and off. I sometimes forget to turn the K810 off.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Are there no Fn keys on that keyboard? ...
I hardly ever use the media controls, but use Fn keys all the time...

The "Fn" key is on the fourth position from the right on the bottom row of keys, next to Alt/Option and the spacebar, similar to the Type Cover configuration.

keyboard_layout.png