What's new

Microsoft Wireless Adapter?

OP
bells0

bells0

Tried again last night to delete the adapter driver and display driver and reboot. The display driver is now one from Nov 2014 - still won't connect. See's it but times out.

Looks like i will have to speak to MS and get the download sent over.

Arizona Willie

What new driver are you referring to?

New driver for what?

I struggled for a long time trying to get my Surface Pro 1 to connect to my 2014 Sony XBR55850B and the Start Screen will go to the TV and then the TV sits there waiting for more signal but nothing else happens.

I refuse to buy an adapter to make something work that should work out of the box.

I'm wondering if the new driver you refer to would work in the Original Surface Pro and if it would help.

I contacted the MS TS and they sent me the new driver (117MB file). Installed on my SP3 i7/256 and the version of the driver is 10.18.14.4080. Reboot and tried Screen Mirroring on my 2 Sony TV sets (KDL-50W800B and XBR-49X850B). In both cases I was able eventually to connect but connection was usually dropped after 2/3 minutes. I tried the MDA on both TV sets and all worked just fine.

Interesting thing is both TV sets work fine when I try Screen Mirroring from my cell phone (Samsung Galaxy Note II). KDL-50W800B occasionally drops connection but XBR-49X850B works solid.

In my opinion MS/Intel need to do more tweaking before the driver is 100% reliable and ready for general public.

JohnR

What new driver are you referring to?

New driver for what?

I struggled for a long time trying to get my Surface Pro 1 to connect to my 2014 Sony XBR55850B and the Start Screen will go to the TV and then the TV sits there waiting for more signal but nothing else happens.

I refuse to buy an adapter to make something work that should work out of the box.

I'm wondering if the new driver you refer to would work in the Original Surface Pro and if it would help.

Please follow this link:
http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3052469
but the driver/fix is available for SP2 & 3 only according to MS.

Since I have SP3 I contacted MS TS and they sent me the new display drive which should fix the Miracast issues. Unfortunately, the fix doesn't work, the Miracast still fails to hold connection. But it works fine with the MWA.

Details of the driver I'm referring to:

2015-04-02_2328.png

OP
bells0

bells0

I have the Nov 4029 version, assumed it would be ok, but still wont connect. Shall try source 4080. Don't fancy a lot prolonged chat with MS Support!!

edit - see they now have the link for the hotfix - nice one, shall try.

OP
bells0

bells0

This is a joke - doesn't work!! What else can i try?? Deleted my Pure VPN in case that was causing an issue, allowed permissions with my firewall. Don't know what else to try, see it fine, but just times out trying to make the connection..........

OP
bells0

bells0

Ok, if i turn off my windows firewall.....it works!! Turn the firewall back on - it stops. Only when i turn off the guest/public network of the fire wall part though! Works with my private on and public off.

What do i need to do with settings to make it work?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
If it is firewall related then surely you'd just have to ad an exception to the firewall for that device?

I'm on windows 10 so can't give exact instructions, however on my surface, under firewall, and add an app or feature through windows firewall, wireless display is ticked for both private and public networks. see if that is selected on yours, and also look to see if there is a separate one for the WDA itself (don't know whether it would just fall under wireless display)

Worst case scenario, pop it in the post with my name on it :p

OP
bells0

bells0

Had the MWDA ticked already. Changed the permissions for wireless apps and it now seem to be workling with the public firewall on - at last!! Let's hope it stays that way now........

Thanks for the help!

Arizona Willie

I think the SP1 has the 4000 graphics adapter so the update won't help / work.
Since the SP1 is two years old I doubt they will bother fixing it.

Russ

Willie --

This may be a dumb question, but are you running an external monitor from your Pro? If so, you have to disconnect it so the TV becomes your second monitor.

I'm running the MS adapter from my SP1 to my Sony TV, and it works fine.

Regards,
Russ

Russ

Anyone who has the adapter working, can you tell me which driver version you have?

Bells --

My Ladyfriend has the Pro3, so I can't try it right now, although I did use it successfully earlier. I am using the adapter with my SP1 to a Sony TV.

If you are running an external monitor from your SP3, you must disconnect it so that the TV becomes your second monitor.

Regards,
Russ

OP
bells0

bells0

All working now - it was the firewall not allowing incoming on public networks. The MWDA creates its own wifi connection with the SP3 and this is why my firewall was stopping that. Turned off blocking incoming on public networks and it works great.

Still ended uyp using Plex last night which my Samsung Plasma picks up from the SP3, but for holidays and if i need to mirror my screen, should prove pretty handy!!