What's new

Microsoft Wireless Adapter?

Arizona Willie

Ah there you go, you see YOU are using an ADAPTER.

I'm trying to make it work WITHOUT an adapter.

I can get the Start Screen from the SP1 to show on the TV and then it just sits there waiting for a signal.

The TV recognizes the SP and the SP recognizes the TV and the TV will even show up in Device Manager.

It < starts > to Miracast and sends the Start Screen to the TV and then nothing more.

It just flat stops. No error message ... nothing.

No, I'm not running an external monitor from the SP.

I have to admit to a large degree of cynicism but I suspect it doesn't work because Microsoft wants us to buy their adapters.

Obviously the SP1 is capable of sending the picture to the TV or the Start Screen would never appear on the TV at all.

Question is ... what stops it there?

The TV says it is waiting for signal.

Since it displays the Start Screen and is waiting for more signal I doubt that Sony has stopped it.

That only leaves Microsoft as the culprit.

Willie --

This may be a dumb question, but are you running an external monitor from your Pro? If so, you have to disconnect it so the TV becomes your second monitor.

I'm running the MS adapter from my SP1 to my Sony TV, and it works fine.

Regards,
Russ

Russ

Ah there you go, you see YOU are using an ADAPTER.
I'm trying to make it work WITHOUT an adapter.

Hi, Willie --

Sorry, misunderstood. I had not thought of trying it without an adapter. I'm in the shop now, but will try that tonight when I'm back inside and let you know what I find.

Actually, I don't really have use for the adapter myself. I bought it so my Ladyfriend can project her Chinese movies from her SP3 to the TV. I was just experimenting with it here to learn about it before I hook it up to her TV, and try to reduce the number of steps involved to make it work for her.

Take care,
Russ

larryeli

im on windows 8.1 and applied the hotfix driver from microsoft it connects flawlessly no firewall nor vpn but everytime i restart the sp3 or turn off the connection and connect again just plain bluescreen with sounds its connected but not casting... my solution is installing the hotfix driver again and bam there goes the screen showing again... any workaround????

rlewis

I just got the wireless adapter on Friday. I'm having zero problems. My SP3 is hooked up to an external monitor, and I can still cast to the wireless adpater on my TV. In that configuration, I can either have just my external monitor and the wireless adapter on the TV (extended or duplicated), or I can have all three screens going - the Surface 3 screen, my external monitor and the TV with the wireless adapter (all three setup for extended, or two duplicated and one extended).

I have not installed the hotfix. So, if you need any version numbers from me to trouble-shoot - just let me know where to look and I'll post them.

larryeli

I just got the wireless adapter on Friday. I'm having zero problems. My SP3 is hooked up to an external monitor, and I can still cast to the wireless adpater on my TV. In that configuration, I can either have just my external monitor and the wireless adapter on the TV (extended or duplicated), or I can have all three screens going - the Surface 3 screen, my external monitor and the TV with the wireless adapter (all three setup for extended, or two duplicated and one extended).

I have not installed the hotfix. So, if you need any version numbers from me to trouble-shoot - just let me know where to look and I'll post them.

What's ur driver version?? Thnx

That's odd, I have two Microsoft Wireless Display Adapters and I have connected both to a few tv's without any issues. Are you still running Windows 8.1 or have you installed 10? If you have Windows 10 installed that's probably the issue, if not then I'm not sure. It's been about a month since I have used one of them so I can try testing it tonight after work.

Tested mine last night and it connected just fine, I ran it for about 10 minutes and no dropped connection. I had never tried streaming video before so I loaded Youtube and it played pretty good, not jittery but not entirely fluid motion (played a music video). Honestly I personally wouldn't use this to stream video simply because the battery will drain quicker. I have a smart TV with all the apps and when traveling I have a ChromeCast that I can use. I use the MWDA for sharing photos, presentation, sharing a webinar and so on. I don't use them very often but when I do I haven't had any issues as long as the internet connection is a decent speed (if I'm casting content from a website). Hope you're able to get your issues sorted.

JoeNathan78

I would struggle with my adapter when I first got it. I found that if I plug it into the TV while my surface is on it wont pick it up for whatever reason. If I restart the Surface it picks it up right away. Ive had no other issues with it really.

Has anyone else noticed choppy playback? I have, especially with movies. Kinda kills it when trying to watch a movie