What's new

Microsoft Wireless Diplay

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
As an FYI if you are just going to play media, video, Netflix etc and have a network connected Smart TV, you don't need this item. Just connect to the same network the TV is on, open the media player, swipe from the right and select 'Devices', 'Play', select your TV which will be in the Devices field and you're off to the races.....
As long as your TV is a compatible DNLA Device, I use my Xbox One as my TV is not compatible.

enthuz

I was looking at a Roku 3, but couldn't justify in getting one. I have a smart device in every room that has the same apps I would use on the Roku. I just wanted to do an extended desktop with my SP3 on my TV when I'm home working or on the road in my hotel room. So I picked up MS WDA today from BB while out. I haven't set it up yet, but I hope to test it tonight.

Nuspieds

As an FYI if you are just going to play media, video, Netflix etc and have a network connected Smart TV, you don't need this item. Just connect to the same network the TV is on, open the media player, swipe from the right and select 'Devices', 'Play', select your TV which will be in the Devices field and you're off to the races.....
The advantage of the device is that you are not limited to or reliant on a specific app or type of TV (i.e., DLNA-compliant) in order to display content.

Prior to buying this device, I looked at Chromecast but then realized that not all apps are supported and I even have less options because I do not use Chrome as a browser. In my use case, I wanted to be able to wirelessly mirror whatever content I had on my SP (without restriction) to a TV and the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter completely met that requirement.

Liam2349

The advantage of the device is that you are not limited to or reliant on a specific app or type of TV (i.e., DLNA-compliant) in order to display content.

Prior to buying this device, I looked at Chromecast but then realized that not all apps are supported and I even have less options because I do not use Chrome as a browser. In my use case, I wanted to be able to wirelessly mirror whatever content I had on my SP (without restriction) to a TV and the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter completely met that requirement.

What's the latency like? Is it better than cheaper alternatives?

Another concern I have is that my gaming rig is connected to my monitor through HDMI and I don't really want to have to mess about switching between the WDA and my HDMI cable - any solutions?

Also, powering it is a concern. Sounds like it would be useful to take out of the house and use on the move, but requiring a power supply sounds like it would limit the device.

grantsaulnz

Can anybody tell me if this device can be used with VGA projectors ? I mean using a hdmi to VGA converter
I´m a teacher and need to attach my sp3 to different VGA projectors....

Yes you can get an adapter that will work. Make sure that you get one that is powered - ie the adapter has a miniusb port for powering (same connector as most phones that are not apople). Have tried on multiple projectors and really depends on the quality of the projector as to the resolution you can use it at.
Used it in a professional development session - however all froze part way through so went to cable. Mind you did the same with HDMI so suspect the issue is the surface, not the netgear ptv3000.

raqball

Ditto...

I have a Chromecast and a Roku 3 but wanted something more seamless since I also have a Windows phone. I rarely stream from my SP3 and usually do so from my Win phone.

The MS wireless adapter works great!!!! I do think its overpriced when compared to the Chromecast and the Chromecast comes with a power cord but if you live in the MS world or want something with better comparability then the MS display adapter it is and it does work great!

Nuspieds

What's the latency like? Is it better than cheaper alternatives?

Another concern I have is that my gaming rig is connected to my monitor through HDMI and I don't really want to have to mess about switching between the WDA and my HDMI cable - any solutions?

Also, powering it is a concern. Sounds like it would be useful to take out of the house and use on the move, but requiring a power supply sounds like it would limit the device.
Ahhh, great questions and concerns.

I can tell you that at home on my network there is practically no latency and am totally comfortable referring to it as "instantaneous." But I haven't had an opportunity to test it on the road, where I always use my Mi-Fi device.

It does cost more than similar devices but as I previously stated, it doesn't require the use of a specific app in order to stream content.

So your monitor only has one HDMI input? That would be surprising because I'd expect at least two. Anyway, if there's only one, you can always get an HDMI Switch and some of these intelligently automatically switch, based on active input data (search Amazon, for example).

I, too, was originally concerned about powering such devices and when I was researching and read the instructions "plug it into the HDMI and USB ports of the TV," my first reaction was that not all TVs have a USB port or one necessarily close enough to an HDMI port. But as a friend pointed out, in such situations you'd need to use an adapter to plug to your PC, the wall socket, etc. Anyway, that's the way all these devices work, but it would great if they could also be self-powered by lithium battery or something.

But at home on both my TV and A/V Receiver, I have a USB port right next to an HDMI port, so no power issues whatsoever (I have it connected t my A/V Receiver). On the road, however, I used to travel with a mini-DP-to-HDMI cable, but that's now replaced with USB Extension cable (in the event that there is no USB port or it is not close enough to the HDMI port).

r0b123

So your monitor only has one HDMI input? That would be surprising because I'd expect at least two. Anyway, if there's only one, you can always get an HDMI Switch and some of these intelligently automatically switch, based on active input data (search Amazon, for example).

Well most older monitors do have 1 HDMI input plus 1 DP, 1 VGA. If it were a TV, then I would expect more than 1 HDMI. I recommend a HDMI as well since I use one between this device, my SP3 and my PS3 console.

+1 using a USB extension cable plus any phone/iPhone/iPad wall wart charger.

HarnessTech

A business friend of mine bought one and we tried it out at a meeting with my SP3. It worked great! Just a few taps from the Charms menu later, my Desktop was extended to the TV in full 1080p. I've never had a Powerpoint look so good for an audience.

I own a Chromecast and I see the value in paying more for the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter. It acts just like you've plugged in an external monitor directly into your SP3. No apps needed, unlike the Chromecast.

Needless to say, I was impressed and I didn't even get to play with it much (because it was so easy). So I ordered my own.

Nuspieds

A business friend of mine bought one and we tried it out at a meeting with my SP3. It worked great! Just a few taps from the Charms menu later, my Desktop was extended to the TV in full 1080p. I've never had a Powerpoint look so good for an audience.

I own a Chromecast and I see the value in paying more for the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter. It acts just like you've plugged in an external monitor directly into your SP3. No apps needed, unlike the Chromecast.

Needless to say, I was impressed and I didn't even get to play with it much (because it was so easy). So I ordered my own.
Yep, that's the beauty of this adapter: You're simply wirelessly adding a second display to your device; thereafter, whatever you do on your device can be streamed to that second display, no limitations.

raqball

My only gripe is that with a chromecast I can start a video and cast it to the TV, minimize the app and do other things on the device while the video plays. I can also turn off the screen and the video will continue to play.

Am I missing a way to do this with the wireless display adapter? I'm pretty sure I've tried just about everything..