What's new

Microsoft Wireless Diplay

HarnessTech

My only gripe is that with a chromecast I can start a video and cast it to the TV, minimize the app and do other things on the device while the video plays. I can also turn off the screen and the video will continue to play.

Am I missing a way to do this with the wireless display adapter? I'm pretty sure I've tried just about everything..

Since it is technically an external monitor, you can extend your Desktop to it, thus leaving your SP3's main screen available for other stuff.

Nuspieds

Since it is technically an external monitor, you can extend your Desktop to it, thus leaving your SP3's main screen available for other stuff.
That's exactly right, so forget "technically" because that's exactly the functionality the Adapter provides! :D

There's no "casting" with this device; it simply provides a second monitor to which you can either duplicate or extend your Desktop, as you would with any other monitor.

HarnessTech

You can choose where the TV screen is in relationship to your SP3's screen, to make it more intuitive as to where to drag stuff. From the Metro screen, go to your Settings, PC and Devices, then Display, where you can drag the #2 box where you want it in relationship to the #1 box, which is your SP3 screen.

Screenshot-(7).jpg

raqball

I guess I'm dense because I'm still not getting it. I have audio from the video but no video. If I drag the app down it closes it if I drag to the left it puts it in the side bar menu and if I drag it to the right it makes a split screen.

Guess I need to read up on how its suppose to work.. I don't have a keyboard or a mouse if that matters.

Thanks

Last edited:

Nuspieds

I guess I'm dense because I'm still not getting it. I have audio from the video but no video. If I drag the app down it closes it if I drag to the left it puts it in the side bar menu and if I drag it to the right it makes a split screen.

Guess I need to read up on how its suppose to work..

Thanks
No you're not. ;)

Try this...go to your desktop and right-click, then select Screen Resolution.

Next, just simply drag one of the monitors and drop it in relation to the other, just as HarnessTech indicated above. Attached is a pic of my setup; the TV (Monitor #2) is in front of me/my SP2; thus, that is the reason it is "above" my SP2 (Monitor #1).

Attachments

• Display Setup.jpg
    Display Setup.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 390

HarnessTech

Sounds like you are trying to drag apps from the Start screen (Metro). We're talking about dragging windows on the Desktop to the extended screen. The TV is an extension of your Desktop, not Start screen.

That said, there might be a way to extend the Start screen, but it's beyond my knowledge or capabilities.

raqball

I don't know about extending the start screen, but you can drag MUI apps onto the extended display.

How?

I have 2 screens listed in settings.

1. I open app and start video
2. Go to charms bar and hit devices
3. Select Project
4. Select Extend.

My TV does show a 2nd desktop and I hear audio but there is no video. On the TV I see a start menu icon and an icon for the video app. I can't tap these as they are on the TV.

Liam2349

How?

I have 2 screens listed in settings.

1. I open app and start video
2. Go to charms bar and hit devices
3. Select Project
4. Select Extend.

My TV does show a 2nd desktop and I hear audio but there is no video. On the TV I see a start menu icon and an icon for the video app. I can't tap these as they are on the TV.

You will at least need a mouse to use a second display if you are extending your desktop.

raqball

That's probably why I can't get it to work..

No problem, I'll just hook up the Chromecast and call it a day. I'd rather beam / stream from my phone anyway..

Mucho thanks.