What's new

Microsoft Wireless Diplay

r0b123

That's probably why I can't get it to work..

No problem, I'll just hook up the Chromecast and call it a day. I'd rather beam / stream from my phone anyway..

Mucho thanks.

If its an Android phone version 4.2.x and higher, you can duplicate your display. Great when you want to show your photos and videos to family and friends.

raqball

No its a Windows Lumia 830 phone and I use an app that lets you cast to the Chromecast. It actually works great. It runs in the background and even with the screen off.

Start video, tap on the cast button and done. I've ran 2 hour long videos without a hiccup.

Nuspieds

Sounds like you are trying to drag apps from the Start screen (Metro). We're talking about dragging windows on the Desktop to the extended screen. The TV is an extension of your Desktop, not Start screen.

That said, there might be a way to extend the Start screen, but it's beyond my knowledge or capabilities.
No, it is not that complicated.

When you add monitors (wirelessly-connected or not), you are adding the capability to have Windows either extend or duplicate your primary display.

So, in my case, I have an SP2 running Windows 8.1; my primary display is obviously my SP2. When I project to the additional monitors (again, whether they be my DisplayPort-connected external monitors or my TV via the Wireless Display Adapter), I am either extending my SP2 screen or duplicating it.

By default, if I choose to extend, then the additional monitor(s) will show the Desktop screen; but from there, I can choose to show the Start screen and launch any Modern UI app on the additional monitor(s). Or, I can start a Desktop app. Or, I can start any type of app on my primary display and drag it to any of the extended displays. Whatever; the bottom line is that I do not have any restrictions; all I'm doing is adding monitors to which I am either duplicating my device's primary screen or simply extending its display field.

As Liam2349 indicated above, if you are going to extend your primary display, then obviously you need some sort of mechanism to navigate to and control content on the additional display(s)--but that's just a normal function of your device, be that via a mouse, pen, keyboard, touchscreen, touchpad, etc.

pmm0724

You do not need a mouse if you have a type cover. You can move the cursor with the touchpad. I had the same confusion.

Are you all talking about the adapter that came out at the end of October? If so, I just bought one from the Microsoft B&M store and they gave me 10% off. And, the associate told me that it is not wireless, as in connects via your wifi, but it is a Bluetooth device. It displays pretty good without any lag, as far as I noticed, anyway.

Nuspieds

Without a Mouse/Trackpad there is no way to control an extended monitor via the Surface Screen....
Well...not 100% true! ;)

Believe it or not, I was able to do it, but it required a lot of "gymnastics" (not to mention utter patience! :)) and was limited to Desktop apps:
  • You can use your finger to drag the window as far as you can from the Surface screen to the extended screen;
  • Use the on-screen keyboard to click Alt and invoke the menu (e.g., Alt+F to access the File menu);
  • Click the back arrow to display the window system menu (Restore, Move, Size, Minimize, Maximize, Close);
  • Select Move;
  • Use the arrow keys to continue to fully move and position the window on the extended screen;
  • From the Surface screen, you can always use Alt+Tab to access the apps running on that extended screen.
Even just to write the steps is exhausting, let alone doing them! :D So just get a really portable Bluetooth mouse instead if the Touch/Type Cover keyboard is not an option.

raqball

Yikes! Yeah, I'm not really interested in doing all that.. Did you miss a step? I think doing a wild rain dance should be somewhere in those steps. :p

r0b123

Nuspieds beat me to it! :) Its possible but yea requires a little bit of work. Just connect a cheapo USB or BT mouse...

enthuz

Are you all talking about the adapter that came out at the end of October? If so, I just bought one from the Microsoft B&M store and they gave me 10% off. And, the associate told me that it is not wireless, as in connects via your wifi, but it is a Bluetooth device. It displays pretty good without any lag, as far as I noticed, anyway.

It's actually WiFi Direct...not your WiFi network.