What's new

Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter Review

enthuz

Yeah, I wish I wasn't. I really wanted this thing to work. I thought I would be able to play my games like this on any TV in the house. I was really disappointed. Perhaps, I just got a bad adapter? I don't know. Maybe, I will just exchange it, get a new one and see if it works any better.

I've seen reviewers online that had bad ones. They returned them and bought another from a different source. Their second reviews were problem free. Maybe there is a bad batch out there.

first off what kind of games? is it the MUI games or legacy X86 games? because I can play MUI games but cant play X86 games... don't know why...

Mostly playing from Steam in-home streaming. I wouldn't be playing heavy games locally on the SP3.

That's too bad it didn't work for you, I didn't have any lag issues with anything other than streaming video and that was about a full second lag but not an issue since I'm watching the TV and not the SP3 and it was smooth playing. My SP3 didn't heat up but I did not check the dongle so I'll have to remember to test that. Maybe you possibly got a bad unit? Maybe try an exchange and see if that works?

I am going to take it back and see. Yeah, there was a good 1-2 second delay. That didn't bother me too much for watching videos because the stream on the TV was fine...as far was sound sync. However, when scenes would switch or fast movement in a scene, it got really choppy and I noticed artifacting and pixelation that would last for a few seconds.

I've seen reviewers online that had bad ones. They returned them and bought another from a different source. Their second reviews were problem free. Maybe there is a bad batch out there.

I bought it at my local Microsoft Store. I am going to take it back and see if I got a bad unit.

grumpy

Is there any configuration utility (web-based or otherwise) provided that gives an option to force it to default to a specific band?

silkrooster

There is another thread about the latency, we came to the conclusion that the problem is the driver on surface and not a problem with the adapter.
As other devices like kindle HDX streams smoothly.
But my adapter does get hot, which it shouldn't.

willgill

What I really liked about the video was how it showed little lag. That was encouraging enough for me to pick it up at BestBuy today. Setup was stupid simple.
Thankfully my TV had an HDMI and USB port coming out of the side. I didn't need the adapter to make a 90 degree bend. Hmm mm but now that I think about it. I may use the adapter to help hide the unit better. My TV looks like it has one ear.

silkrooster

There is another thread about the latency, we came to the conclusion that the problem is the driver on surface and not a problem with the adapter.
As other devices like kindle HDX streams smoothly.
But my adapter does get hot, which it shouldn't.
Well I found out on Microsoft's website, that there were quite a few complaining about the adapter getting hot and the recommendation was to use the included extension cable to keep the adapter further away from the TV. So it appears it is the TV that makes it hot.
I have not tested that to confirm it though.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Every Miracast Adapter I've used gets warm... I've been using the Microsoft Adapter for 8 to 10 hours a day since I bought it without issue.

enthuz

I concur that it gets warm, but nothing I would be concerned about. That's with and without the extension. I'm loving the adapter. I just wished I had one for work and each TV in my house.:D

raqball

I can see the benefit of the adapter but mine is in a drawer collecting dust.

I use the SP3 as a tablet and want to 2nd screen video while still having the ability to use the SP3. I learned, thanks to this forum, that this is not possible to do without a keyboard or a mouse and I have neither of them.

Also, on my windows phone there is no option either. When I use the adapter via the phone, the screen stays on all the time and it does not run in the background.

I'm keeping it however in the hope that additional functionality will come at a later time.. I wish it functioned like a Chromecast..

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I can see the benefit of the adapter but mine is in a drawer collecting dust.

I use the SP3 as a tablet and want to 2nd screen video while still having the ability to use the SP3. I learned, thanks to this forum, that this is not possible to do without a keyboard or a mouse and I have neither of them.

Also, on my windows phone there is no option either. When I use the adapter via the phone, the screen stays on all the time and it does not run in the background.

I'm keeping it however in the hope that additional functionality will come at a later time.. I wish it functioned like a Chromecast..
The Microsoft Adapter is Miracast - which is a Standard around WiFi Direct to create a HDCP Compliant Wireless HDMI Connection. The Chromecast is a full ARM SoC running Android configured as a receiver (utilizing something akin to DNLA), Google is selling these at cost or as a lost leader to build more Human Intel on their customer's viewing habits.