Microsoft's Cortana will be PG-13

Discussion in 'Surface Forum Site News' started by dgstorm, Apr 25, 2014.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member

[​IMG]

Here's an interesting wrinkle we didn't see coming. Apparently, Microsoft's new voice-activated digital assistant Cortana, will be PG-13 (or the equivalent thereof). Apparently, according to the U.S. Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), because Cortana is considered an online service, users must be 13-years old or older to be able to use the voice features.

In fact, built into Cortana will be a safety mechanism. If someone under the required age tries to use her services, Cortana will reply with, “I’m sorry, you’ll need to be a bit older before I can help you.” It's unclear how she will be able to determine if the user is old enough. Here's a quote with a few more details,

What do you guys think of this? Oversensitivity or smart safety for kids? Also, how do you think they will implement this?

Source: USAToday

2. leeshor

leeshor Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    Makes me wonder how they know. They may just need a disclaimer pop-up asking if you are older than 13. otherwise the NSA would need to be involved. ;)

3. jnjroach

jnjroach Administrator Staff Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    I have my Son under Family Safety and in his profile I setup DOB, I received and email on hos 13th birthday stating I no longer had control of his marketing preferences....I still see everything he does and searches for but he gets to make his on agreements, etc.

4. leeshor

leeshor Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    I know that before using any current gen MS software you need an account and it asks for a birth date. But people lie.;)

I know of several cases where multiple Office 2013 users are under one account. That could defeat it right there.