What's new

Microsoft's iPhone & Android Keyboard is Very Innovative

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
microsoft-wordflow-keyboard-for-ios-and-android.jpg

It looks like Microsoft's mobile engineering team still has some impressive innovation ideas to draw on. The above image is the new mobile keyboard that Microsoft is creating for iOS and Android. As you can see, what sets this keyboard apart is its unusual configuration of keys. The keys fan out around your thumb's natural pivot point, making the keyboard a more natural extension for one-handed users.

This idea is so good, it makes you wonder why no one has thought of it before. The irony of this idea is that the implementation of this keyboard on Microsoft's own handset isn't the same, and is far more cramped and awkward. Of course, if it works as well as it seems, then that might change pretty quickly.

Either way, using this keyboard on an Android or an iPhone would be pretty funny. We imagine that copycats will start popping up now that this idea has been actualized. The final version of this keyboard is expected to arrive on iOS in a few months, and on Android later in the year. What do you think?

Source: The Verge

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Single thumb use.. makes it pretty worthless for anyone without all the time in the world. I've never typed one handed as it is just plain inneficient and uncomfortable. Two thumbs or nothing.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Single thumb use.. makes it pretty worthless for anyone without all the time in the world. I've never typed one handed as it is just plain inneficient and uncomfortable. Two thumbs or nothing.
Single thumb is perfect for Steve Jobs and one hand use while driving ;) D'oh!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Single thumb is perfect for Steve Jobs and one hand use while driving ;) D'oh!

I've just never understood it. Even aside from efficiency, It's a relatively expensive item, I would prefer to not drop it. The "oh well" attitude I so regularly experience with phone users has never made sense. I take care of my devices so I dint have to go and buy insurance and screen protectors and cases.

I won't deny though, for one handers, looks great. Reminds me of the pie menu on cyanogen etc for android.