What's new

Mini DisplayPort on new docking station doesn't work

malberttoo

Did you mean you used the control panel\windows updates rather than the metro place where you can update. I'm confused what you meant when you stated you used Microsoft Update rather then the system admin.

If his SP3 is joined to a Windows Domain that has their own Microsoft Update server (called "WSUS"), then that will force his SP3 to only get MS Updates from his company's server, by default. However most of the time the end user does get another link that they can click on that lets them bypass the company WSUS server and check with Microsoft directly, instead.

OP
C

Chris Broughton

Did you mean you used the control panel\windows updates rather than the metro place where you can update. I'm confused what you meant when you stated you used Microsoft Update rather then the system admin.

I used the update feature in MUI by typing "check for updates" and in my case because it's joined to a workplace domain I had to check the box to check with Microsoft rather than our internal server.

6661.anne_2D00_30days.png

Unless you know this applies to you it probably doesn't. Just check for updates, if you don't receive any, view your update history for the 8/19/2014 firmware.

They may be staggering the update.

Spitnik

Sorry to tell you, I applied the 08/19 update immediately before using my dock for the first time.

What you are describing--external monitor flashing black for a few seconds--is exactly what I am experiencing. To be specific, it's a little unpredictable. The monitor will be on for a few seconds then off for a few seconds more, then it may stay on giving me a glimmer of hope, but then will go black. Mostly it's black.

It's unlikely you and I both have bad cables and/or adapters that, strangely, work perfectly when plugged into the port on the SP3 but that don't work properly only when plugged into the port on the dock. There is unquestionably a problem with the dock. Microsoft, please address it.

Good news everyone... I checked for updates again today and was given a firmware update from 8/19/2014 that has fixed all my dock issues but introduced a new one. The firmware is listed here, http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/install-update-activate/pro-3-update-history, but doesn’t say anything about fixing the dock.

I was only given the update when I checked for updates using the “Check for updates from Microsoft Update, instead of from your system admin”. This may be unique because I'm joined to a domain.

The issue that was introduced was that both monitor screens black out fairly frequently. This could be a cable issue I’m ordering replacements now.

Has anyone else seen an issue with external monitors flashing black for a few seconds?

Spitnik

I forgot to mention, I have tested the same dock with the same DisplayPort cable and the same mini DisplayPort adapter using two different SP3's (both i5/8M/256G) and two different monitors (HP ZRW30 & Samsung U28D590D); in both situations each SP3 works only when the cable/adapter is plugged into the SP3 but not the dock.

(I also have to add that I still have the problem with the WiFi network card occasionally disappearing after sleep. I have now had this problem occur with both SP3's (slightly differently configured) on four different WiFi networks that all (I assume as they were in different hotels, homes, and offices) are broadcast by different WiFi routers, including, most recently today following the 08/19 update. Although the problem occurs less frequently than before, as much as I enjoy these devices, I am disappointed that some rather obvious problems have not been fully addressed.)

schadowrider

So here's an FYI update on my dock.

I picked up an inexpensive but new Samsung 21.5" monitor that has VGA and HDMI inputs (instead of the DVI input on the old Dell I was trying). Plugged it into the dock via mDP to VGA adapter and it worked fine first time fired up. The resolution on the old Dell just wasn't cutting it; wanted a more up to date monitor anyway...

We just moved and I haven't uncovered/found my mDP to HDMI adapter yet to try that route, but it's working with the VGA so not sending the dock back just yet!

Still makes no sense as to why the mDP to DVI wasn't working out of the dock but was working out of the SP3...

So here's a summary of the situation with my dock:

mDP to DVI: not working out of dock (but working out of SP3)
mDP to VGA: working out the dock
mDP to HDMI: not tried yet...

Kif

Thank you for this suggestion. The monitor port on my dock now works using this cable.

I'm glad that information helped. I'm halfway surprised the cable is the culprit (even though I shouldn't be). It seems like new cable standards always go through a period cable compatibility issues.

bluegrass

I have connected up several DVI input monitors to a couple different SP3 docks here where I work without a problem. My manager purchased Insignia DVI to HDMI cables & Insignia miniDP to Hdmi (short cables) that I plug the cable from the monitor in and then the short cable into the dock.

I have setup one of my users with two DVI monitors, one two the dock and one to the Surface. They worked great. I made the configuration setup with 3 displays, including the Surface in case he needed to use the pen for something. I setup both of my SP3 users with docks and Logitech mk320 wireless keyboards and mice.

schadowrider

Finally got to try mDP to HDMI: working through the dock just fine with the new monitor... Don't know if the DVI was the monitor (I didn't get a chance to try it with the VGA cable) or the mDP to DVI adapter I was using (Apple...).

Now that dock is working properly (i.e., with all connections out the back of the dock), it's quite slick -- love being able to just drop it in and roll!

The rMBP is seeing less and less use; and I can't remember the last time I fired up the iPad. The rMBP, running extended with the NEC PA2471W, is very likely to pretty much become a dedicated LightRoom/PS workstation... I use a Helix at work (school), and by using my MS account with both it and the SP3, the machines pretty much mirror each other. The dock is awesome icing on the SP3 cake!

agt499

I'm glad that information helped. I'm halfway surprised the cable is the culprit (even though I shouldn't be). It seems like new cable standards always go through a period cable compatibility issues.
...And who do we have to yell at to get a certified/known good mdp to dp cable in the Surface Accessories store (preferably with a sloping plug like the adaptors -as they have replicated the slope on the dock)? Even at a premium price it could safe a heap of the wasted time here...

mtalinm

I had both the charging problem and the video-out problem with my dock. Took it to the MSFT store and they reinstalled a bunch of updates manually. Apparently Windows Update had installed them incorrectly or something like that, though they weren't too specific. Works great now.