What's new

Miracast performance?

CrippsCorner

Wondering if there's any improvement with Windows 10? I never got round to trying the official Microsoft dongle as it was too expensive and there were many reports of lag (note I'd actually be using this for general web browsing as much as anything else)

Also... when are monitors going to come with this built in!? Surely that's the future :p come on already.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Windows 10 with a newish Intel Driver works well with Miracast on my MSWDA, ScreenBeam Pro and Netgear PTV3000, performance is good...I use it for presenting in meetings all of the time.

All of the devices need to be running the latest firmware.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really don't think there is a huge market for computer monitors with built in miracast, but buy yourself a new tv and it is very easy to find one with the functionality baked into the machine (from my reading and use, people are largely using miracast for projecting to a large tv, not to a computer screen (because typically there is already a computer connected to said computer screen so you can already access youtube etc on that screen without the need for a phone/tablet etc)

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

I guess my usage would be very niche... I just really hate wires and will do whatever I can to reduce the amount I'm using!

I think wireless stuff is always going to have an element of lag unfortunately. But hopefully I can get my hands on a Miracasr device to at least try it out :)

bluegrass

I guess my usage would be very niche... I just really hate wires and will do whatever I can to reduce the amount I'm using!

I think wireless stuff is always going to have an element of lag unfortunately. But hopefully I can get my hands on a Miracasr device to at least try it out :)

I don't see that lag matters as long as both the sound and video lag (stay in sync) together.

kundas1

honestly, the lag would be miniscule for you.... and the lag people are talking about is over blown as I use it to view moves all the time and I hardly notice it... don't know why your so hesitant ;)

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Movies and music sure... wouldn't bother me. But I'm talking about general browsing here, i.e. selecting things with the mouse and typing.

kundas1

dude movies and music would lag more than web browsing and typing, obviously the more data that needs to be picked up by miracast the more lag you have, that's why you cant game and cast to the tv because there is a lot of data and therefore lag! like I said it would be miniscule for your use case ;)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually both extremes stress the technology. In typing/interactive mode you're sending many small updates and if you combine too many it gets jerky. if you're typing and characters lag on the screen behind where you are most people will find that experience unacceptable.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Yes... that's what I'm afraid of. But more than that, it's web pages jerking and the cursor not perfectly following your mouse movements :(

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Okay, so... got one. It's kind of pathetic really. Unusable as an HDMI replacement for general computer usage. Videos etc. are okay but it lags around 0.5-1.0 seconds behind.

Screen resolution and colour representation are very good however.

Don't think it'll get much usage but I'll keep it anyway as I got it so cheap. Ultimately though, AirPlay kicks its arse for music playability!