What's new

Mirosoft Wireless Display Adapter

ctitanic

I just read the news about it. Unfortunately Miracast still a technology very unreliable at least for me. So I'll wait for some reviews.

wynand32

I've found the Actiontec ScreenBeam Pro to be an excellent Miracast adapter. About the only thing it doesn't do well is gaming. But for video, screen sharing, etc., it works well. I'm curious if the Microsoft adapter will offer any real advantages, or if it will just be Microsoft's version of a Miracast adapter.

I've been keeping an eye on a product called AirTame http://airtame.com/ Here is a comparison chart with other products (obviously the Microsoft Wireless Adapter isn't on the list because it's new), the AirTame looks to have more functionality but the cost is twice as much.
airtame.png

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've been keeping an eye on a product called AirTame http://airtame.com/ Here is a comparison chart with other products (obviously the Microsoft Wireless Adapter isn't on the list because it's new), the AirTame looks to have more functionality but the cost is twice as much. View attachment 3781
Airtime looks cool, I've followed as well but their comparison is 100% true, Miracast and WiDi supports Extended Desktops on Windows....

surfdock

I've found the Actiontec ScreenBeam Pro to be an excellent Miracast adapter. About the only thing it doesn't do well is gaming. But for video, screen sharing, etc., it works well. I'm curious if the Microsoft adapter will offer any real advantages, or if it will just be Microsoft's version of a Miracast adapter.

Gaming is a very interesting scenario and from a performance tuning perspective I think it is in opposition to watching videos. Some Miracast adapters sacrifice overall display quality to get better response time (less lag) which makes them better for games, but not as good for watching movies. Some adapters do the opposite and have great display quality but a lot of lag. Its really obvious when you try two different brand Miracast adapters back to back. I guess this means the Miracast spec is flexible which is a good thing. Anyway, I really hope this new adapter has firmware that adjusts the tuning approach in real-time based on the content being presented so its great for games and for videos.